beer Official Brewdown Thread!!!

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Nice! It's my first NE IPA as well. What kind of yeast did you pitch? I went with WLP005, hoping some of the fruity esters will compliment the hops and style.

I went with WY1318, but with the same idea in mind. I'll keep the ferm temp up around 70/71 and see if that helps.  There's a couple WLP's I would have liked to try with this style, but I'm in semi-boycott mode because I'm not a fan of their new packaging. Will be interesting to hear how the 005 treats you on this.

And the rest of the goods...

NEIPA-85-70.jpg

here is the recipe for one of our NE IPAs on our 1bbl pilot system, this was the original Animorphus recipe before I tweaked it into what it is now, Changeling 2

https://untappd.com/b/collusion-tap-works-animorphus-changling-2/1741853

70% Pilsner, 15% oats, 15% torrified wheat

zero boil hops

ferment with London III @ 67 degrees

Hops @ Whirlpool - 5oz Chinook, 5oz Mosaic, 5oz Belma

Hops at Dryhop - 1lb Mosaic, 10oz Citra @ day 5

crash day 8 if VDK passes, transfer day 9 into brite tank and keg day 10

one of the quickest beers we make 

We hit around 50 IBU's on our double IPA

You figure we are maintaining 205-210 degrees for the 20 minutes of whirlpool, plus the 45 minutes it takes to cool the beer in to the fermenter

its quite a bit to be honest, you still get quite a lot of isomerization even without being at a full boil

Yeah, those last two batches I made proved that over here ...

One was never even boiled. Admittedly that was weird for never having a chance to have a hot break, but the other (20 min boil with only flame-out (Neomexicanus Ales for ALS) hops) was plenty hopped ...

wheebz said:
We hit around 50 IBU's on our double IPA

You figure we are maintaining 205-210 degrees for the 20 minutes of whirlpool, plus the 45 minutes it takes to cool the beer in to the fermenter

its quite a bit to be honest, you still get quite a lot of isomerization even without being at a full boil
That's good to know. I didn't realize the whirlpool increased bitterness that drmatically. I used 3 ounces of hops for a 20 minute hop stand at 190 degrees, before chilling. I guess my brew will have more IBUs than anticipated. I just dropped my last dry hop charge in. I'll crash it on Saturday, and bottle it on Sunday.

Back