• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OhioGrown 2014, second time around, 4-6-14 update.

well, it's another year, and I promise this year to add weekly updates until the end of the season. I drifted off mid-summer last year and never showed any finished pods, plants, sauces, powders or anything! So, , , I started my super hots this afternoon after shoveling 4 inches of snow off my driveway. No overwinters this year, just seeds. I planted 15 White Ghost, 10 7 Pod Congo, and 5 each of the following: 7 Pod Orange, Large Yellow, White, Yellow Brain Strain, 5 Butch T's, and 5 Large Bell Peppers (as an experiment). All my seeds came from pepperlover.com. Started in peat pots, inside, with a heat mat and 7 inch humidity dome. Here's ground zero:
100_2857_zpsd12f64e0.jpg

Thanks Devv! I've always run into a problem where a lot of my seeds germinate and get real big, and then some of them lag really bad. I had a couple 7 Pod Large Yellow and a couple Butch T's really slow down and almost stop sprouting, once the other 75% were already sprouting and putting out roots and first set of true leaves. I think now that I started another dozen or so seeds with peat pellets, the added heat and humidity might encourage those ones lagging to get it in gear, or be tossed in the compost bin. . .  Either way, I'm 2 weeks ahead of schedule from last year, and progressing faster, no more peat pots, and no ferts with the Happy Frog soil until they get into their 1 gallon pots. And even then, it'll be compost tea. . .

Ok, as promised, it's been a week and things are going ok. The sprouts I've potted up are establishing themselves accordingly. A little sunburn from the T5's, but it's minimal. 49 total plants potted so far. Started some more yesterday and today, Jalapenos, Pepperoncini, a few superhots, and another round of Mexican Rocoto, which aren't sprouting at all, 2 weeks in. I started extra Jalapenos to fill in, just in case. Here's some pics for ya:
100_2888_zps166dc089.jpg

A tray of 7 Pod Congo Gigantics, a few 7 Pod White's, and 5 Large Bell.

100_2890_zps11d72f9d.jpg

The back tray has mainly White Ghost , and 3 Yellow Brain Strain. The front tray has a mix up of Jalapeno, Pepperoncini, Butch T's, 7 Pod Orange, 7 Pod Large Yellow, and and additional 7 Pod Congo (which is currently suffering...). Thanks for checking me out again. I look forward to updating in a week or two after the sub-arctic temperatures try and freeze my water pipes.....

alright, another week gone by and the plants are doing their thing. I potted up a total of 31 this weekend. They needed it. They should settle in nicely and really start to growing now. I had to hang another T5 light up, I was running out of room. Here's a pic of 30 of them so far. . .

2-1-14d_zpsbb6d6a5a.jpg

There's 11 7 Pod Congo, 5 Bell Peppers, 5 Yellow Brain Strain, 5 White Ghost, 1 Butch T, 2 7 Pod Orange, 2 7 Pod White,

I've got another 9 White Ghost to get into pots and a few more 7 Pods of different colors as well. My Jalapenos and Pepperoncini are doing fine in their little pots for now. Thanks for looking, keep on growing. . .

Thanks guys. I'm really trying to update weekly and I've also started a written log of everything I'm doing as far as soil, temps, etc. . . I planted 15 more Jalapenos and 5 more Pepperoncini seeds this morning after potting up the last 9 White Ghosts I had.

Back a week or so later again. I built myself a new grow room in my garage. I built it inside an already existing insulated woodshop. It's 6x4x8. I insulated it, hung my t5's and potted up 31 plants today. Here's a few pics of the new grow room:
The first one is it from the outside:

100_2905_zpsa3c6e078.jpg

Here's one of the bottom section, with only 1 4-bulb fixture hanging, currently not in use.

100_2912_zpse6b9b13f.jpg

And here's one of the top section with 16 t5 bulbs total, and a total of 61 plants so far:

100_2906_zpsc6794ab2.jpg

So in total, I have 14 White Bhut, 11 7 Pod Conga, 12 Jalapeno, 5 Yellow Brain Strain, 5 Large Bell, 4 7 Pod White, 4 Pepperoncini, 3 7 Pod Orange, and 3 Butch T's. I have a few more Jalapeno, and Pepperoncini's planted inside in a germination kit, so I should have a few more of those to add before too long. I'm gonna add a small fan somewhere this weekend. Right now I'm getting decent temperatures in there, around 70. I'm gonna check in the morning before work (5 am) and see what it's like then. I'm hoping this new grow room will help me to start plants earlier than ever before, and possible do some stuff year-round. Thanks for looking, keep on truckin'

OhioGrown said:
Yeah, I've heard a few things about them. Have people been having trouble finding pure strains?

I don't know anything about them, just seen them around.  I'm just guessing they're like how the Yellow Bhuts were, with a bunch of different phenotypes, some more interesting than others, but again, I haven't really researched it... I'll just wait until I see one that looks real good...

Alrighty then, It's March 1st, and we're into the season now with all the pepper plants planted, potted and ready to grow. Here's a pic of the bottom half of my new grow room with 18 plants, trying to stay warm during this recent cold snap:

3-1-14_zps8e86b38b.jpg

And damn Photobucket is acting up and not letting me upload some of my mid-winter pics. Oh well, more to some soon, peace, Michael

Alright, now that Photobucket is responding again. Here's a couple more pics of my plants. I got a small fan for them, and when I potted them up I used the Ocean Forest soil. I haven't given them any fertz yet, but I'm planning on making some compost tea here in a week or two once it warms up a little.

3-1-14a_zps21336bbc.jpg

3-1-14b_zps749012e8.jpg

3-1-14c_zps01a5e304.jpg

Thanks for checking it out again.

Well, It's 20 degrees outside right now, and tomorrow, it's supposed to almost 60. This is March in Ohio. It's been almost 2 weeks since I last updated. I potted up a few more, started some tomatoes, cucumbers, and some dill. Here's a pic of the top half of my grow room with mainly Jalapenos in the middle and right with Pepperoncinis, Mainly White Ghost on the left, and mostly 7 Pod Congos in the back.

100_2934_zpsf66670e2.jpg

And here's one of my larger plants on the bottom half. 5 Bell Peppers in the back left row, 5 Yellow Pot Brain Strain in the middle row. A couple 7 Pod White in the back right. And in the front row from l-r 2 White Ghost, Butch T, 7 Pod Orange, Jalapeno, and a 7 Pod Congo:

100_2930_zps550df875.jpg

Everything's doing pretty well so far. I'll be moving the bottom plants out of the grow room and onto a table in the woodshop. The lights from the bottom half are heating the top half too much. And I need some more room to start more vegetables up top. Gonna start some compost tea in the bottom half here soon to start feeding these things. Thanks for looking again, Peace,

it's a foam insulation that just happened to have a reflective side to it. it came from menards, and was I think $36 for a 2x4 size that had I think 12 pieces to it all connected and folded together. It's about half inch thick I think.

Back