• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting OK second ferment attempt

Well round two went better. Well as far as ferment and no mold.
I did 12% salt
I tasted a bit of them and Wholey Crap! It is HOT. But more noticeably it will put you in a salt coma!

So what do I do with this salty concoction?

It's been fermenting for 8 weeks

IMG_4559.jpg

Well due to the overwhelming input coming in, I decided to whip up a batch of habenaro Mango. It is a bit sweet for me but i think the kids will love it. Hot enough to make you pepper sweat, but sweet.

Only used a cup of ferment for 9 pints but it is pretty HOT.
Working on another batch of straight up hot in the morrow.

Mangohab.jpg

Well, the Mango is too sweet for me, but I'm not a good judge because I don't really like it anyway. I sent a sample to my Son to get a final verdict.
I did shake some smoked chicken in it last night for dinner and it was good, but I'm not a big fan of sweet sauce.

yes I do know I'm talking to myself.

Jeff K said:
Well, the Mango is too sweet for me, but I'm not a good judge because I don't really like it anyway. I sent a sample to my Son to get a final verdict.
I did shake some smoked chicken in it last night for dinner and it was good, but I'm not a big fan of sweet sauce.

yes I do know I'm talking to myself.

Keep at is Jeff - your work might go unnoticed for a day or week (or month) but eventually someone (like me) will stumble through and marvel at your efforts.

re: Salt - my fermented mash usually tastes pretty salty once they're done; hot and sometimes really hot, but salty too.  I will then process the mash (cook, food mill, blender, etc) and will frequently make additions like honey/vinegar/lime juice/etc during the process to flavor the end product.  12% might be a little high on the salt end, but properly mixed I am sure you'll be able to use it for something.  If nothing else comes to mind you could always dry the mash out in a food dehydrator and grind it into a flavorful powder! 

I prefer pineapple to any other fruit additive as (to me) it seems to compliment the heat and is a good flavor next to the fruitiness of the pepper.  Gonna try some pineapple hab sauce tomorrow.  My first attempt at a ferment went horribly wrong.  Note:  citrus is good for fresh sauce, but after a 5 month ferment tastes like metal.  Threw away pretty much my whole pepper harvest from last year.

Back