• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Onions

What kind are recommended AJ?

I know there are probably many different varieties. Vidalia is the only variety that means anything to me.

I bought some sets today, debating wether to put them out or not. Its 53 here today with no lows lower than 40's, but that could change. Last year I put pepper plants out after mothers day and had no frost. I think I'll wait a couple more weeks on the onions.

Onion sets are not pairs of onions but the term given to a bulb that you stick in the ground. No clue where the name came from - I've known them as sets for 50 years!

Much to my surprise, I do have what seems to be sets, as in multiple plants, growing. Last year, son number one for some inexplicable reason mowed my onions, real close to the ground while they were still growing. I harvested what I thought was all of them, but yesterday I discovered two onions growing, but there seems to be three or more stems per location.

Confused yet?

Mike

Onion growing from seed has been very slow in my garden. I think I planted some whites, reds, and yellows last Oct/Nov. and still have nothing of considerable size. The birds took a lot of what came up as well.

I have had much better luck with bunching onions. From seed started in 4 inch+ pots at an appropriate spacing (say seven seeds spaced a half inch or so apart in a cluster). You can also attempt this in the ground with small sets and wider spacing. That's how the scallions I've grown are planted. Good luck!

I've done onions from seeds. It is a waiting game there with the globe types, but the bunching have been great!
I also (accidently) sprouted 4 spanish/yellow onions from the store last year, put them in the ground for seeds, but already have new sprouts outside.

This thread got me thinking and I found bags of 'sets' at the big box store, 80 for 1.29 I got some yellows and some reds I have no idea where I will plant these!

Yeah- I checked in my lower yard garden tonight- I have like 6 recognizeable small onion plants from the rows and rows I planted from seed. I think I planted them last Halloween. Don't say you didn't know me before I built my global onion empire.

Back