• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Orange Scorpion or just a normal variation of orange hab?

One of my wife's co-workers grows Jalapas and Orange habs. He sent a bag of orange habs for me and in the bag was a pepper that looks like a scorpion. Is this a common happening with orange hab plants?

photo.jpg

orange scorpion(@ least mine have more of a yellowish orange tint to them and little or no tail on them. just my experience

It's just like any orange hab. I just thought this one looked cool. There was one other that had a bit of a stinger look, but this one really looked scorpion like. I'm really thinking about growing the seeds out to see if I get more of the same.

If the rest look like orange habs, its very unlikely that you have some sort of new variety there. Oddly shaped pods occur quite frequently but it would take an entire plant looking like that before you can start making assumptions.

Yeah, sounds like its just one of those things that happen. I'll still grow out the seeds, because I wouldn't mind having orange habs around.

Almost half the pods on one of my Orange Habs looked like that. I believe its caused by the flower not falling restricting early pod growth.

Almost half the pods on one of my Orange Habs looked like that. I believe its caused by the flower not falling restricting early pod growth.
here is my personal experience as i am new to growing but have tried various things, i have left flowers on the pods, and have pulled them off. and i have no tails on pods i have left flowers on and have a nice tail on a pod i pulled the flower off when the pod was a little round nub(no tail at that point) so i think its just mother nature that shapes pods not the flowers. the flowers will cause a narrow spot but it my experience that not enough to cause that type of shape. but this is my experience and i could be wrong.

here is my personal experience as i am new to growing but have tried various things, i have left flowers on the pods, and have pulled them off. and i have no tails on pods i have left flowers on and have a nice tail on a pod i pulled the flower off when the pod was a little round nub(no tail at that point) so i think its just mother nature that shapes pods not the flowers. the flowers will cause a narrow spot but it my experience that not enough to cause that type of shape. but this is my experience and i could be wrong.

I've heard from a lot of people that grow scorps that this is the case. It may add a small amount of pressure or the shielding from light or something that causes the pods to grow a bit differently. It seems that light on the pods helps them grow and ripen faster so the flower blocking the light might change the shape?

Might be a cool experiment to tie strings on pods or something to try to affect their shape.

Happens all the time. I have one on a chocolate Bhut I just picked and a Red Savina plant has more on it than I care to count. Save some seeds and grow it and see what happens, that's part of the fun of growing peppers.

Back