beer Passow's First All Grain Brewing Day - Pictures

imaguitargod said:
Sparging is when you slowly drip water that's 170+ degrees Fairenheight through the grain bed. this both stops the starch to sugar conversion (locking in the amount of fermentables for the grain) and filtering them out of the tank into your boil ketle.

And TB, this is for you bro! Unfortunitly, I have the crappy digital camera that doesn't have a working flash, but here's the two fermentors with bier (one had a blow off tube).
ag7.jpg

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! I can see the festering swill in the carboy on the right. Noisy bastards ain't they!

Passow WIN!

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! I can see the festering swill in the carboy on the right. Noisy bastards ain't they!

Passow WIN!

Cheers, TB.
Thanks TB, took that pic just for you. Ya, I uncovered the one on the right b/c it's my only transparent fermentor. Yep, they sure are noisy.

Novacastrian said:
Whats "sparging"?

Sparge, lauter tun, mash, rack, pitch, wort, zymurgy....all code words. Those words came into being by early brewers who were...DRUNK! It's all drunk talk. They were too drunk to say "rinse" and could only manage to say "sparge". They also couldn't say " really big pot" so belched out "lauter tun". Nothing else explains "the science of fermentation" being translated to zymurgy.

Prost! TB.

Great job, man. After you get a few batches under your belt, figuratively and literally, you'll have to share with us your "brewhouse efficiency". Things will get better and better each time you brew, until you are so familiar with your system that it's second nature. Here's an idea for collecting wort runnings and getting the exact amount you expect in the kettle:

Get a length of PVC and a permanent marker. Fill a gallon jug (I would make a precise line on the jug indicating one measured gallon) and pour that into your boil pot. Pay attention to where the water line reaches on the pvc pipe, and make a mark there (after drying of course). Continue this process until you get to about 8 or 10 gallons. The next time you sparge, you can have copious amounts of sparge water in reserve, and just stop the flow when you have reached your goal.

Hope this helps!

texas blues said:
Sparge, lauter tun, mash, rack, pitch, wort, zymurgy....all code words. Those words came into being by early brewers who were...DRUNK! It's all drunk talk. They were too drunk to say "rinse" and could only manage to say "sparge". They also couldn't say " really big pot" so belched out "lauter tun". Nothing else explains "the science of fermentation" being translated to zymurgy.

Prost! TB.

Or the words are German, but I don't think this disproves your theory. Possibly the whole German language derived from drunk utterances long ago!

texas blues said:

Prost! TB.
ROFLcopter.

Steve973 said:
Get a length of PVC and a permanent marker. Fill a gallon jug (I would make a precise line on the jug indicating one measured gallon) and pour that into your boil pot. Pay attention to where the water line reaches on the pvc pipe, and make a mark there (after drying of course). Continue this process until you get to about 8 or 10 gallons. The next time you sparge, you can have copious amounts of sparge water in reserve, and just stop the flow when you have reached your goal.

Hope this helps!

5 steps ahead of you. My mash paddle has my markings for wort level on it ;) (I'm alot more experienced than I look ;) )

imaguitargod said:
ROFLcopter.

5 steps ahead of you. My mash paddle has my markings for wort level on it ;) (I'm alot more experienced than I look ;) )

...or am I? ha :P

+5 agility on the paddle and chiller

and be careful when taking pictures during the brew process, you don't want to upset the beer gods and possibly impart off-tastes to your wort!

Back