• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation pepper vinegar

Anybody ever made pepper vinegar before?

They have it(or used to anyway) at a restaurant called Steak and Shake and a few others(maybe Whataburger).  Its basically peppers in white vinegar.  Dont think its anything to hot usually(maybe jap's, maybe).

Anyway, they supposedly discontinued it and my buddy is heart broken.  I told him I would make some in a few months with some super hots.  He says he can no longer eat chili at Steak and Shake without the pepper vinegar.

Seems the recipe is just fill jar with peppers, boil 50/50 white and apple cider vinegar, fill jar, put lid on.  Not sure I will fill the jar with super hots, but ill get quite a few in there and light his face up.

Is it as simple as the online recipe's are making it out to be?

ShowMeDaSauce said:
cheap white vinegar.

White vinegar is fine but the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason, it's not made for food. It's sold cheaply (a lot of times in plastic) for cleaning etc. and is made from petroleum. Heinz is made from corn you are safer with that one. Make sure your white vinegar is not made from petroleum. It can have words like "Premium" white vinegar etc. but you can also check with the company or look on the website, Heinz makes a point of letting you know. Tabasco also states they use premium white vinegar.

http://www.happy-mothering.com/01/household/is-your-white-vinegar-made-from-petroleum/

The Hot Pepper said:
White vinegar is fine but the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason, it's not made for food. It's sold cheaply (a lot of times in plastic) for cleaning etc. and is made from petroleum. Heinz is made from corn you are safer with that one. Make sure your white vinegar is not made from petroleum. It can have words like "Premium" white vinegar etc. but you can also check with the company or look on the website, Heinz makes a point of letting you know. Tabasco also states they use premium white vinegar.

http://www.happy-mothering.com/01/household/is-your-white-vinegar-made-from-petroleum/
Good to know

Yeah it won't say it's not made for food because it is FDA approved but it is sold cheaply for cleaning and stuff, so just do your research and buy the corn ones for food. Premium white vinegar is not a bad one at all, but the basic is horrid for food or sauce.

The Hot Pepper said:

By cheap i meant Heinz distilled white vinegar. It is cheap compared to any cider, rice or wine vinegar. I grew up in a heavy canning and pickling family. The vast majority on the time we used Heinz cider vinegar.

BTW look closely at a gallon jug of Heinz cider vinegar and compare it to the 32oz bottles. You will notice the gallon jug says apple cider flavored.

Look at the ingredients. Its just flavored distilled white vinegar.

Ingredients: Distilled Vinegar from Grain, Natural Flavor With Caramel Color, Diluted With Water to A Uniform Pickling And Table Strength of 5% (50 Grains) Acidity.|Distilled Vinegar from Grain, Natural Flavor With Caramel Color, Diluted With Water to A Uniform Pickling And Table Strength of 5% (50 Grains) Acidity.

Now look at the 32oz bottles. It does not say flavored.

Look at its ingredients.
Ingredients: Made from The Juice of Apples Diluted With Water to A Uniform Pickling, Table Strength of 5% (50 Grains) Acidity

Yeah just FYI for everyone. ;)

Heinz is good to go. Beware of store and off brands especially in plastic containers but check all of them if they do not list a source.

There are some things that Heinz white distilled vinegar is better. Such as preparing horseradish and even hot mustard or anytime you want to avoid sweetness. I normally use rice wine vinegar or brown rice vinegar if not using cider vinegar but you will need to make some adjustments for acidity. I really like champagne vinegar too and its usually higher in acidity but the sweetness seems less to me. I love it in my jalapeno relish.

Back