• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pequin? bird's eye? piri-piri?

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I saw the below plant in a village and its called "Kappal Milagai" in local language which literally means "Ship peppers", Its named so probably because it was introduced by some one who traveled abroad on a ship or because the erect pods face up like a ships sail.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I have read that pequin, bird's eye, and piri-piri all have this behaviour of peppers facing up, but not sure which variety this particular plant belongs?[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]
leafandflower.jpg
pepper_pods.jpg
flower.jpg
flower2.jpg
[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Regards,[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Sujai[/background]

Growth habit, flowers, and constricted calyx of the fruits tell me that it is a C. frutescens. It looks very much like a Tabasco or Malagueta. I think it is important to always use the local name, so that modern origin can be traced (as opposed to the ancient or historic origin, which would be somewhere in the Americas). It bothers me a lot to see all of these peppers from, for example, Peru/Bolivia/Ecuador with English names only (or no name at all), that aren't even an attempt to translate the original/local name.

So in my opinion Kappal Milagai is the best name for it, but "(name of village) ship pepper" could work to.
MALAQUETTA IS C. FRUTESCENS so you would be correct

thanks your friend Joe

The village name where I found is thurinjapuram, so I'll call it thurinjapuram kappal milagai.
Its near to my home town, so I will get as many pods as possible next time when I visit and share seeds with you guys, in case if you are interested.

I am learning a lot from THP, Particularly the glogs are real inspiration...

Have seen similar looking chili in Kerala. They grow more or less wild under the coconut palms. In Kerala they are known as Kaantari Mulaku (converted to latin alfabet).

I'm currently trying to grow these, but they have been very slow compared to the other varieties I'm growing, so no ripe pods yet.

Will post a few pictures when I get first ripe pods.

PS: signed up to reply to this topic :D

Great to know that you are growing it as well HAJ

Friend of mine got me the below pepper pods from Kerala where it was growing wild in a rubber plantation, they look different from the pods I found in Tamil Nadu that they have a very smoothe, shinny texture and are pointed.....

kerela1.jpg

and the below pods which i think may be just another variation or from a different plant?

kerela3.jpg

Do they look similar to Kaantari Mulaku?

HAJ,

I did a search and found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pSkJMud33o

Also Spices Board India site lists KANTHARI-WHITE http://www.indianspices.com/html/s06231ch.htm

Is this the same Kanthari you are referring to, or is there a red variety too?

They look very much like the pods on first picture. As far as I remember they will turn red like your pods.

Tabasco is quite similar in shape, but Tabasco turn white/pale-green before ripening. Don't think these does.

They look like the AFRICAN DEVIL (AKA PIRI PIRI) i grew a few times

sounds like they taste the same too maybe they are the same? who knows??
good reviews mates

thanks your friend Joe

Growth habit, flowers, and constricted calyx of the fruits tell me that it is a C. frutescens. It looks very much like a Tabasco or Malagueta. I think it is important to always use the local name, so that modern origin can be traced (as opposed to the ancient or historic origin, which would be somewhere in the Americas). It bothers me a lot to see all of these peppers from, for example, Peru/Bolivia/Ecuador with English names only (or no name at all), that aren't even an attempt to translate the original/local name.

So in my opinion Kappal Milagai is the best name for it, but "(name of village) ship pepper" could work to.

You nailed it on C.frutescens mate :P
Below link mentions "It has typical C. frutescens flowers: small, with greenish-white corollas, dark anthers, and the flowers bent over at the tips of erect flower stalks." same as the flowers I saw on the plant.
http://www.wildchilli.eu/index.php/cfrutescens-duke-pequin

flower2.jpg

Regards,
Sujai

Back