• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

pH ph meter

I would like to have some fun making hot sauce so i need some help in getting a good ph meter.Just experimenting for the family & friends whenever we get together.

There are tons of food grade meters on E-bay and Amazon just look around. lots of people on here use em for commercial products they sell. You really don't need one for personal stuff as long as you refrigerate it after cooking it. Since vinegar and salt are 2 the staples in most sauces they keep for quite awhile in your fridge. GL

A ph meter requires accurate temperature compensation and CALIBRATION to be of any use. Be sure to obtain acid and base buffer solutions and learn the calibration method for your meter.

Well, that's an excellent policy, westin! :clap:

As a back up, many people use litmus papers to get a general pH reading from their sauces. Others have said they work well for giving a general pH when not having a pH meter. Any kind of general pH reading is probably better than nothing but I would not rely on litmus paper reading for a food safety reading. But they can help!

litmus paper helps but often there's a ironic issue... if you're testing sauces with color, you have to factor for how much the sauce color changed the strip not just what color the strip ended up with sauce on it.

Back