• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

pH PH tester

Hey, I'm new to sauce making a find I need a ph tester. What kind and where to get one?
thanks in advance. Leebo

Hey, I'm new to sauce making a find I need a ph tester. What kind and where to get one?
thanks in advance. Leebo
You can pick one up from a hydroponics store for relatively cheap.
I believes it's just the standard water tester that is used for sauce making too, at least that's what I use.

I do not recommend the paper strips. Those you have to color match and the sauce can dye the strip a certain color making it hard to figure out what color it is.

The hydroponic stores near me only carry 1 tester and it is around $70 at all three places I have checked. That is more than I want to spend on a tester. I have also looked around at some of the specialty cooking equipment stores around here and have not been able to find one there. Ebay sells them for about $25-$30 but I am not sure if they work that well. I have to think there is a reason that one costs $70 and one cost $30

you can use a cheep digital meter to test sauces etc. dont expect it to be super accurate tho, it will be within .1 hopefully.

i do not know of any way to test it with ph strips or reagent drops.

theres a few PITA things you need to know however before you get a ph meter. you are going to need calibration fluid, usually included, and buffer solution and maby electrode cleaning solution to get the longest life possible from the electrod.

this is from another thread

you should be able to use it with food. do your self a favor and buy some ph buffer tho;hanna HI 70300 is an example of this fluid.
you HAVE to store the probe wet, otherwise it will ruin quickly,also never store it in ro/DI water it will also ruin it.

also after you use it you should flush the tip with clean water and store it with the buffer like i said.

a little advice if i may be so bold, buy a hanna or another meter that has a warrenty on the PROBE. imo you have like a 50% shot of getting a good probe with the ultra cheep meters. if it dosent calibrate, contact the manufacturer and request a replacement. ive done this with hanna and they had great service.

edit: fixed an error the HI 70300 is the correct solution to store the probe in.

Back