• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

pH Ph Testing

any suggestions on what a good Ph meter is? are there any to stay away from? Currently I use Litmus (sp?) paper and want to switch to a meter.

A working meter is a working meter. SCE's (the electrode) are pretty much the same, the only difference usually is features and price. If all you need are pH readings, you don't need a higher end model.

Check local university surplus sales/auctions. Virginia Tech has 9 surplus auctions a year, and sometimes I find some chemistry lab equipment that is ready for immediate use very cheap.

Dyce51 said:
any suggestions on what a good Ph meter is? are there any to stay away from? Currently I use Litmus (sp?) paper and want to switch to a meter.
I ordered a ph meter thru ebay and should get it tomorrow. It's a Hanna Digital. I also ordered litmus paper. I live in one of those enclaves that are spoken about. These items are not available locally, so I'm a slave to cyber connections.

It's been my thinking that moisture relates to the consistency or viscosity of the sauce. The acidity or alkalinity is what keeps it stable. The moisture can absorb flavor or not according to the recipe.

From my biochem days, I can tell you this: litmus is good if you want to be within 1-2 magnitudes of pH. For many, that is way too much swing. From a commercial point, though, I admit my cluelessness.

Back