• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Please help me find this pepper

Hello, I am a collector of wild pepper species and I need help identifying a particular pepper. My information is all second hand, so I will start by telling you all the info I have gathered. The story begins when my friend's chilehead brother bought a bag of bird seed for his pet birds. He noticed that in the seed mix were some pepper seeds. He grew them out and they were small, white, completely round and very hot. He gave some to his brother (my friend) who dried them and used them for seasoning. At one time he gave me some seeds, but I am not entirely sure that the seeds were for this particular pepper or not. This was back in 2000 and at the time I was in no position to grow them out, and have since lost the seeds. Over the years this pepper has become a legend, tall tale, or holy grail of sorts in my circle. After discussing it in more detail with my friend and doing some research, I came to the conclusion that it was the peruvian white hab, but we grew it this last season and my friend claims that it is not the same pepper, and that the original pepper was small and round. So I am left to think that it is a bird pepper that may or may not be chinense. That is all the details I have, please help if you can.

I grew a C. chinense variety labeled as "Cheiro White" last season but the pods weren't quite completely round and the colour was more of a pale yellow:

IMG_7660.jpg

(Don't let the comparison fool you, the Cheiro White pods were rather small. The Choc Bhut in the pic is somewhat undersized.)

A long shot, I know, but that's about all I got off the top of my head.

White Pearl Habanero.
Mine are round pure white pods.
Some are ribbed , most pods are smooth and round.
Maybe 1/4 in. around +/-.
I have a plant in my window.

Can't find the pictures...

Back