• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pods not ripening due to cool temps

It is the end of August and the temperatures in NW Ohio should be in the mid 80's.
They are not.
This past week, temps have NOT hit 70 during the day and down in the 50's at night.
Pepper plants are loaded with green pods.
Only got about a dozen ripe pods from 200 + plants this morning.
Please send some of that "global warming" to Ohio.

Same weather in PA, but my pods are ripening. Every day, I get a 1/2 full or more, plastic grocery bag from about 65 plants. And this counts the extras for my jalepino loving bunnies that chew some plants in certain locations down to nubs. How odd yours are being, since mine will ripen until the end on Oct 31st.

On a good note, I think the Hawks got our latest visitor.

I am in NE Ohio, for whatever that's worth - just know I have about the same temps you do. Pods often take a long time to ripen in hot weather. In fact, often plants will hurry up the ripening process once cool enough temps hit. Pods are about reproduction - the plant can't reproduce itself from under-ripe pods. Short story - patience is required.

But yes, this cold SUCKS!

I saw a cool growingyourgreens video a while back where John visited a cleveland farm that grew during the winter using hoop houses and compost piles to heat the houses. Not saying you would do this as it would require a larger scale, but you could theoretically build a frame and put a plastic tarp over it to trap the temperature. Maybe get some sort of device to increase the heat

winland said:
It is the end of August and the temperatures in NW Ohio should be in the mid 80's.
They are not.
This past week, temps have NOT hit 70 during the day and down in the 50's at night.
Pepper plants are loaded with green pods.
Only got about a dozen ripe pods from 200 + plants this morning.
Please send some of that "global warming" to Ohio.

The temps aren't why it isn't ripening. How long have they been there for, because my house gets in the 40s in the winter and I get ripe pods just fine.

Back