Poking my Central Victorian head thru THP doorway..(noob with a lot of questions)

Gday , so far this has been an exceptional read, and im loving every page i come across...

I know most people on here seem to be dancing around the top end of the scoville scale in regards to the seeds they buy, sell ,swap and sprout.

Not knowing much about germination, seasons, or this forum , i began saving seeds from dried chillies i purchased for cooking( ancho's guajillos pasilla negros, habaneros) and my germination trials began in september with the left over seeds from my home made mexican from scratch cooking regime.. I love frijoles, con canre, albondigas ect ect.... Not knowing that most of the seeds i was trying to germinate were already beyond a usable state due to the roasting process before export , i spent 1 1/2 months cursing a lifeless jiffy germination container..

Atfer much dissapointment I purchased seeds from a seller ebay, from mid october thru to the mid november not alot happened in my jiffy pad container, i then sent an email to the seller telling them of the lack of strike rate, they suggested my peat pad medium was to acidic for the seeds , and not to expose them to unwanted heat sources, they were good enough to replace my entire order again, and i replanted what they sent me in a new growing medium ,composing of seed raising mix and propagating sand, from mid november to the beginning of december nothing had popped up in the humid jiffy box. and my morning espresso's and tobacco were not happy times under the back verandah..

December 5th saw me go to hospital with a moderate coronary health scare , where i had to stay for 8 days , whilst nearing the end of my stay, i was given the good news that sprouts popped up to say hello , and then the bad news..

I began my seed attempts with Poblano, Mulato, Shishito, Scarlet Lantern & Peter Pepper. all catagorised into seperate groups.. all of which fell victim to a 3 yr old nephews attack with a soccer ball , which sent the germination box and its contents all over the place.. being the sentimental type person i am (and after being hospitalised myself ) i did my best to collect and replant the new sprouts into pots...

Trying to figure out which variety was which has been a major hassle ever since.. 4 out of all the seedlings have began to show some size, the others just seem to remain around the height of a matchstick with leaves no bigger than a human thumbnail..

After this accident i decided to go buy some seedlings, so i purchased a Black pearl , red Habanero, orange Habanero four Poblanos six Jalapenos, and a Rocoto Manzano.

The Black pearl (united nurseries) is doing well so far although its becoming an attraction for aphids , the Red Habanero is struggling ( united nurseries) i think my potting mix was too compact and way too moist, possibly not enough drainage hole in the old foam broccoli box i was using..as the arms behind flowers would just drop off from where they grew for a month or two.i have since moved this into a garden bed , and i now see less flowers dropping off and some fruit beginning to show.

The Orange Habaneros i purchased went straight into the ground and have been going great guns , plenty of flower/ buds , all remaining stable on the plant and now the beginning fruit showing all over the place ( :D )

The Jalapeno seedlings have been just as user friendly and successful as the orange habs .. although they are in broccoli boxes with potting mix..

Since quitting smoking i need to replace that caustic throat burn tobacco once provided with something else and i begin to walk the world of chilli...

I know that my newly chosen path and newly found love of growing stuff i cant wait to devour, is filled with lots of trial and error. I am quite new to the world of forums , and have no idea on how to even upload images on here so i can clarify examples of what i have written , let alone ask some of the more experienced growers for identification of varieties and or the problematic variables i will come across trying to grow stuff..

Any advice will be taken on board , and cherished... thanx for reading my intro.. Mark.(pics will follow once i figure out how)

:welcome: from Brissy, Mark!

The "fun" of growing, eh? ;) :lol:

When you say Jiffy "pads" are you talking about the pellets? I've always had much greater success using them over raising mix. But not to worry... if the raising mix works for ya, definitely stick to it. (Jiffy's seem to be one of them things you either love or hate.)

Hello back to the ppl from the usa, damn your chilli harvests look bountiful.. If i ever get to travel over there , i think i might return the size of three houses.. soo much chilli available there DROOOOOOOOOOOOOL..

welcome from CT,

and to answer your question about adding photos, I suggest getting a photobucket account (free) and just uploading photos to there, and then all you have to do it put your cursor over the picture that you want, and there should be links that pop out (one of them being a "IMG" link, the bottom one, and then just click on that, it should say "copied" and then just paste it here

and as far as seed starting mixes, I would get a heat pad and thermostat if you want (unless you can keep the temps to around 80-85, just make sure you have a thermometer in there) and I use to use the Jiffy pellets and they were fine but they do dry out really fast, which I didn't mind because I could water them a lot, but it's not really necessary, I just got some Hoffman's seed starting mix and that stuff is really really good, don't need to water much at all, and seeds do great in it.

everything else you can get just from reading! have fun and good luck.. -it's addicting lol

:welcome: from the pacific NW USA! You already have quite an
adventure going, Mark! I'm one of those NOT at the top end of
the Scoville Scale, but we can still be friends :lol:
You will be able to find out everything you wanted to know
about growing pepps here!

Back