PORT, Anyone?

add an ER to the end of it, and you're speaking my language. ;)

i've only had a sip of one. my old roommate at college drank the stuff...was too sweet for me. on the other hand, i have no idea if he had good taste in port or not. so maybe i would like it if i tried a good example.

It was a Churchill port, the tawny, I think, that some friends and I used to always finish the night with at wine tastings.

I like dessert wines on occasion and have a few bottles of port I've been sitting on for years. They are not real valuable vintage bottles but It's still cool to see them sitting there with all the dust on 'em.

Hello all.

This is my first post here. I make my own wine, have made my own port, and am now looking into making my own hot sauces. If you can find some and want a real good dessert wine, try and find Duck Walk's Blueberry Port. It's a port made on Long Island, NY, and it's the only sweet port I truly like. The sweetness isn't overpowering and the blueberry taste is really good. Plus it's not expensive at all, 10-15 USD for a 350ml bottle and it's really worth it.

CDB...welcome to the forum. You would have to bring up the subject of port at a time when I have none in blues kitchen. I generally have Grahams in the house for both drinking and cooking. But alas..sometimes I cheat! I take some cab and add a sugar cube and vodka to it...poor mans instant port.....and no I don't have a drinking problem. I quit drinking every night when I go to bed. Cheers, TB.

CDB said:
Hello all.

....., try and find Duck Walk's Blueberry Port. It's a port made on Long Island, NY, and it's the only sweet port I truly like. The sweetness isn't overpowering and the blueberry taste is really good. Plus it's not expensive at all, 10-15 USD for a 350ml bottle and it's really worth it.

Welcome CDB!

Thanks for the tip...I'll keep an eyeball peeled for that one.

texas blues said:
CDB...welcome to the forum. You would have to bring up the subject of port at a time when I have none in blues kitchen. I generally have Grahams in the house for both drinking and cooking. But alas..sometimes I cheat! I take some cab and add a sugar cube and vodka to it...poor mans instant port.....and no I don't have a drinking problem. I quit drinking every night when I go to bed. Cheers, TB.

Use Torres' Sangre De Toro which is a mix of Grenache and Carignane, some sugar, and some fruit flavored vodka, preferrably berry flavored, and you've got a great port substitute.

xgrafcorex said:
add an ER to the end of it, and you're speaking my language. ;)...

ahh, sorry X, I don't quite get the gist of your post...does that mean you fancy a Porter when the whether starts to get chilly? not a railway porter I hope! :shocked:

there's a small town a few hours drive from here that has a winery that makes a white port and it tastes excellent. I do like a port but it usually only comes out after your three parts pissed and you end up drinking way too much of it and wake up with a very very bad headache the next day - I know I do!

chilliman64 said:
ahh, sorry X, I don't quite get the gist of your post...does that mean you fancy a Porter when the whether starts to get chilly? not a railway porter I hope! :shocked:

I'd fancy the Porter and the beer.

chilliman64 said:

just meant porter, as in the beer..not something to do with the railways. :lol: heh it doesn't really get chilly down here in florida. we have had some nice cool weather as of late though...if only it would stay like this forever down here.

Pam said:
I'd fancy the Porter and the beer.

again with the suppressed sexual urges... I think the sooner you hook up with bentalphanerd the better - I'm sure bent agrees with me

xgrafcorex said:
just meant porter, as in the beer..not something to do with the railways. :lol: heh it doesn't really get chilly down here in florida. we have had some nice cool weather as of late though...if only it would stay like this forever down here.

I don't think we have Porter here, but I sort of figured that's what you meant. I was just doing a little sh*t-stirring, kudos to you for being good natured about it!

haha yea..i'm quite the angel. :hell:

that sucks you guys don't have porters. very similar to stouts really. i know of at least one australian stout, i'm sure there are more.

just googled australian porter and it seems to just be showing the other type of porter. :rolleyes:

chilliman64 said:
again with the suppressed sexual urges... I think the sooner you hook up with bentalphanerd the better - I'm sure bent agrees with me

Silly man, my sexual urges are not suppressed. They're not always satisfied, but they are not suppressed! And while I think Bent's quite the hottie, that very long drive for a first date is a bit off putting.

I don't think we have Porter here, but I sort of figured that's what you meant. I was just doing a little sh*t-stirring, kudos to you for being good natured about it!

They probably just call them stouts instead of distinguishing between the stouts and porters.

Back