• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Potato Challenge

I'm thinking I may need to try an indoor potato plant. Build an 18" square cage six feet tall (I'm an optimist) and plant one seed potato in it. Let it grow until the 2nd Sunday after Thanksgiving, when Reading has a special event where I pass out free chili - usually about 12 gallons or so. Have the potato dig at a specified time.

That inspired me to think of this: a potato growing challenge. The idea is to see who can grow the most potatoes, based on pounds in an 18" square cage. The "Big Dig" will be the second Sunday after Thanksgiving. You can grow them inside or outside, with or without lights, using only organic nutrients or whatever ferts you want.

If you want to participate, PM or e-mail me: wordwiz@fuse.net with your addy by Monday at noon. I'll mail a potato (probably a Kennebeck - whatever the local store sells) to you and once everyone (or the vast majority) get theirs, we plant them. If you aren't in the US, I think I can still mail it to you, though customs may confiscate it.

The winner get a Mr. Potato Head - if they still make them.

You interested?

Mike

Heck...I'm in Mike...never grew a potato before...I reckon its time to start reading...

Caged Potato Contest

AJ and PepperFreak,

The potatoes will be in the mail tomorrow. They were harder to find than I thought they would be, then I got extremely busy with the paper and garden.

We can extend the contest to New Year's Day if you wish, since that is a holiday and I'll have time to uncover them. Let me know.

There are two others besides me participating, a lady from Missouri who really loves hydroponics - I've bought all my stuff from her, and a long-time friend from Michigan who has been a farmer for years and years - that's how she made her living.

If the rain quits long enough for me to get outside, I'll post a picture of my cage later today.

Happy Growing,

Mike

Thanks Mike, this will be my first time ever growing potatoes...I will tell you the last time I helped my grandfather harvest them, he used a mule and middle buster to dig them up....that was 1953....

I'll plant mine Wednesday when I take the cage to the office.

If this works, we can do it again but starting next St. Patrick's Day. I'll get some red, white and blue seed potatoes - one of each in a larger cage. Maybe more people will get involved then.

Mike

I reckon it's time to start reading and researching "Potato Growmanship" :lol:

Back