• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Potawie needs help

I've got something going very wrong with most of my pepper plants lately and I can't figure it out. All the growth tip are getting burnt and new growth is deformed. I'm hardly fertilizing, and I haven't seen an aphid in a while and most were very healthy until recently. Its happening to more and more plants everyday now and Its getting me so upset I don't even want to look at them anymore. I'm looking into getting my water tested but other than that I don't know what I can do.
Here's one pic I got before my batteries died

I'm not much help Potawie but I am experiencing the same thing...I am taking off work today at noon and will post a pic to show you what I am talking about...I have just thought it was aphid damage to the sprout/buds when they were very tiny....could that be it? The plants seem to be doing really well producing good pods and growth is good...so I just don't know...

I think about half my pepper plants are affected now. It looks just like aphid damage but I have hardly any aphids and pods look fine. I think I'm going to have to do a lot of pruning and babying and hope I figure out the cause.

Understand totally, that is what I am doing right now...but I am not pruning, I am letting the leaves grow...I am just picking them off as they yellow...

I'm thinking maybe the PH of my well water(around 7.5) is to acidic for foliar spraying but I never had this problem before

thats not what is causing my problem Potawie since I only water at the bottom...only time my plants leaves get wet is from dew or rain....

I just got back from talking to my local nursery man and he said this is a pervasive problem here in the DFW area this year for peppers...new growth curling and deformed but plants still growing and producing pods....he said he is going to call a professor friend of his down at Texas A&M and talk to him about it this afternoon (he said this guy is his go to guy for unexplained problems with plants)....will let you know as soon as I hear something...

7.5 isn't acidic it's basic, too basic possibly.
have you also thought of the temp of the water that you are using? is it 'cool' 'warm' or possibly 'cold' ? i would definatly try to correct a ph problem if that is what you think it is since peppers like between high 5's and mid 6's

POTAWIE said:
I'm thinking maybe the PH of my well water(around 7.5) is to acidic for foliar spraying but I never had this problem before

7.5 is not acidic...it is alkaline,well water is probably hard -maybe to much calcium?
my peppers had the same symptoms when I did put matches to supply sulfur ,leaves got deformed wrinkled and eventually died
maybe SO2 in the air and acidic rain ?
wish you quick improvement

My peppers look exactly the same as yours, Potawie, but I thought it was a problem with my spraying with Neem oil when I had a big aphid attack some weeks ago. I thought that perhaps I used a very concentrated formula, because after the spraying I started to have those symptoms you describe. They are not flowering yet, though. I don't know if flowering will be affected by that, or not.

AJ, I'm eager to know the expert opinion ! At this moment I really don't know what can be causing that, if it was not the concentrated neem oil :(

Plant doesn’t look too bad to me. But sounds like your peppers are infected with a Mosaic Virus. There are many different types and can affect a plant different ways. A major source of infection is from Tobacco plants, more specifically from the tobacco mosaic virus. There is no cure for infection, and can be a seed born disease. Recipes that involve soaking seeds in a diluted TSP (tri sodium phosphate) solution exist online and should kill any virus on any seed thought to be contaminated.

The virus doesn’t usually kill the host plant but may stunt the growth or lower the fruit yield. Unfortunately the only way to get rid of it is to discard all plants, the soil that they grow in (to avoid any virus in root matter left in the soil and the possibility of re-infection) and replant all over again.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=MOSAIC+VIRUS+PEPPER

jaded said:
Plant doesn’t look too bad to me. But sounds like your peppers are infected with a Mosaic Virus. There are many different types and can affect a plant different ways. A major source of infection is from Tobacco plants, more specifically from the tobacco mosaic virus. There is no cure for infection, and can be a seed born disease. Recipes that involve soaking seeds in a diluted TSP (tri sodium phosphate) solution exist online and should kill any virus on any seed thought to be contaminated.

The virus doesn’t usually kill the host plant but may stunt the growth or lower the fruit yield. Unfortunately the only way to get rid of it is to discard all plants, the soil that they grow in (to avoid any virus in root matter left in the soil and the possibility of re-infection) and replant all over again.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=MOSAIC+VIRUS+PEPPER

Oh my ! I really hope you're wrong :(

POTAWIE said:

The pH 7.5, however, is much too high

Ph for chiles is best at 6.5, but your symptoms don't look Ph related to my eye.

I would have your well water checked for oil, Ph and stuff. Has the taste of the well water changed? Surface run-off gets into wells on wet years.

willard3 said:
Ph for chiles is best at 6.5, but your symptoms don't look Ph related to my eye.

I would have your well water checked for oil, Ph and stuff. Has the taste of the well water changed? Surface run-off gets into wells on wet years.

Potawie can you smell H2S (hydrogen sulfide) in your well water?

No, I can't smell or taste anything abnormal but the problem seems to have originated after I sprayed the foliage

POTAWIE said:
No, I can't smell or taste anything abnormal but the problem seems to have originated after I sprayed the foliage

cold water on hot leaves??? maybe,
or sun wormed water droplets causing damage??

Many, if not most of the "green" as opposed to the purple or varigated plants look similar. I wonder if your concerns are an example of micromanagement? The plants are growing and producing pods - so what is the problem?

Bottom leaves are going to fall off - not just from peppers but from every plant I have ever grown.

BTW, I do not want to claim to be an expert - I have never grown peppers from seeds until this year and last year was the first time I raised anything but Bell peppers. But I bought a few plants, stuck them in the ground and never paid a whit of attention to the leaves or anything else. When the ground went a couple of weeks without rain, I watered them, if a weed came up next to them, I extracted it. I had a fairly bountiful harvest, which could have been beginner's luck.

Almost all my plants are in their final or semi-final resting place and they will grow or die. With the exception of a few indoor plants, I'm not going to worry about aphids (which I had hardly heard of until the winter), mites, nematoids or any creatures except for rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs or raccoons. Mother Nature has a way of working, that's why after a few millenia we are still gowing plants

I'm almost off my soapbox, but have any of you looked into how commercial chili pepper growers raise a crop? Sow seeds, pluck plants once they get big enough, stick them in the ground, pick peppers when they get ripe. I doubt if anyone walks all the acres daily to see if leaves are curling or if aphids are attacking.

IMHO, YMMV, Take with a a grain of salt.

Mike

Back