• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation preserving in a vacuum sealer

I'm sure someone has thought of this. i am curious why it won't work.
1. make hot sauce
2. freeze hot sauce
3. vacuum seal hot sauce
4. put vacuum seal hot sauce in boinling water for the normal water bath time + thaw time

Some will say why? I say why not. I am of course talking about hot sauce with enough acidity that it can be canned with a water bath.

Anyway. Why won't this work?

whats the point of boiling it? wasn't it pasteurized by the cooking?
not sure how these things are done, but i seem to remember seeing jellies made by simply pouring the scalding dangerously hot stuff right into jars, when cool they form the typical mason jar vacuum seal.

maby by "make" hot sauce you dont mean cooking it in a sauce pan or something? i would have thought heating a hot sauce would typical for ..."merrying" the flavors? idk.

can you tell im clueless about cooking?
lol, idk why i even have a kitchen, the last time i used the stove was... to brew a batch of beer. everything else is done on the grill or george forman or microwave.
i should just put the dish washer in the laundry room or something... make it into a ski-ball parlor or something more useful.

I always freeze any sauce that I don't have bottles for. I just let it cool then pour it into a labeled, gallon size Zip-Lock bag and into the freezer. When I'm ready to bottle it, pull it out and allow to thaw some. Then dump it into a pot and add about a quarter cup of water to it. Bring it to a boil for 10 minutes then reduce to 195 dF for about 20 minutes and hot pack into steral bottles.

Frosty - if you're freezing in good containers I don't think you'd need to vacuum seal them. Vacuum sealing serves meats and such well for frozen use but hot sauce is already cooked and not in need of the vacuum.

Back