• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Preserving Pastes.

I understand hot sauces require a neutral acidity for preservation,
but I am thinking of making my favourite curry paste and jarring that.

Usually a nice thai yellow curry paste with some orange/yellow habaneros, I made one paste with 20 of them once.... yum yum....

So, do curry pastes also require neutral acidity, cause I can't see much on the pre-preserved jars you can buy at woolies that would preserve them as well. Maybe it could be to do with the fact that only dried spices may be used in those as they taste so..... bad.

I get that preserving fresh ingredients like this does deter their freshness and flavour, I am just after ideas.
What ingredients would be needed to adjust that acidity? I can't really just add more lime juice cause that would just ruin the sweet-sour balance.

My initial suggestion would be to make it like you usually do and then pressure can it in small jars. Depending on the rest of the ingredients, you'd need to consult a pressure canning guide to get an idea of who long and at what pressure. Probably something like 10# for 15 min.

Do Not do the boiling water bath unless you know for sure what the pH is, do the pressure canning and there should be no worries.

when you say neutral pH, I assume you mean 7...

if you want your paste to last a long long while...put your pH down around 3.8-4.2...I know this may be overkill, but if you put it there, no refrigeration is needed for your product...especially if it is pressure canned...

Back