• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question about applying epsom salt

Between the info on the moon phase planting and this on the use of epsom salts, this morning has turned out to be very educational for me.

Lots of food for thought to get me through the day.

Thanks for all the great posts guys.

dvg

Make sure you are purchasing plain epsom salt and not the lovely smelling stuff(the scented ones for baths as that may contribute to residue).

I mist with epsom salt all the time and have never had residue on my plants, I have a simple misting spray bottle that I bought at walmart for $2.77, 16 oz, i fill it half with cooled boiled water from my kettle, the other have with water from my fish aquarium, then add two very accurate pinches of epsom salt, sometimes 3 pinches if i didn't think my first 2 were accurate enough. I stir this around until the crystals are completely dissolved.

I mist the entire plant and the top of the soil. Works well for me.

I also use it when the leaves are yellowish, Epson salts help the plant in getting the leaves very healthy, that whey when you use a fertilizer, the plant will putt all the focus on the flowers and pots and not on getting the leaves healthy. I use 1 TBSP per Gallon of water with no chlorine in the water, only use it until leaves are healthy (once every 2 weeks), then on with the compost worm tea. By the way I bought my Epson Salt from The home depot at the gardening section, not from a Pharmacy

Foliar sprays of epsom salts can really help when there is nutrient lockout due to fertilizer imbalances, improper pH, or inconsistant waterings etc. and especially on C. chinenses which seem to need a lot more magnesium

plants cannot live without salts. salts dissociate into ions and cations when dissolved into water, and without these charges roots would not be able to uptake nutrients. many people grow ONLY using salts and chelated minerals.
why all the salt hate? :(

I have a feeling our fellow THP brethren is blessed with great soil. i do the organic gardening thing personally .. just a preference. That being said some folks out there are in areas that it's just impossible to get proper growing medium and do have to add somethings to the soil. whether your plants get what they need from blessed soil or soil additives it's personal choice i believe. i could see the addition of some into soil would be a benefit.. the plant does use it up if in small amounts preventing a biblical "salting of the earth". IMHO only.

Try this link HawaiiAl: http://finder.cox.net/redirect?URL=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.epsomsaltcouncil.org%252Fhealth_benefits.htm&HitID=yC3idFzyiIYAAGsGMfwAAAEJ&ParticipantID=96e687opkbv4scrood8k84drs6gw5duf&Keyword=garden&Position=0&LinkID=yC3idFzyiIYAAGsGMfwAAAEJ&Affiliate=12&KeywordType=1&FailureMode=1&HitDateTime=2011-04-12+21%3A57%3A44&rand=db771ed1ebbb2d045ac9aaa17ed927c2

HawaiiAl - Couldn't get site to launch. Maybe server is just busy. Patrick your link is for health benefits (not for plants) for humans. :( HawaiiAl is there another link you have that works? I would be interested on how often they state to spray it and how early do you spray.

Back