• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question about pollinating plants....

I was messing around and tried hand pollinating some of the flowers on my reapers with a small paint brush. Then I decided to try pollinating a few of the flowers on a chocolate hab plant. I used the same brush to see if it would create a reaper/chocolate hab cross. Is cross pollinating basically that "simple" or is there more to it? The way I have all my plants in close proximity to each other I'm sure there's cross pollinating going on naturally, but in the future, I'd like to play around and was just wondering what was involved.

It's that simple. Congrats on doing what mother nature does. Rarely have I gotten a natural cross but if I get a brush and act like a bee I get usually what I want. Remember it may take a few seasons to get a stable strain and not all crosses turn out great.

That's cool. I figured I'd just play a little and see what happened. There's only maybe 10-15 blooms right now on my reapers so I thought I'd try hand pollinating them and then I saw a few big flowers on one of my chocolate habs so I figured...why not. So I just went from the last to reaper and start pollinating the habs. Just out of curiosity. So I'll see what happens and go from there I suppose.

Use some little scissors to cut off the flower petals right before opening of mother plant. With tweezers pull off stamens of mother plant so her pollen won't fertilize her pistil. Collect pollen from father with brush then pollinate mother pistil. You should get all seed of the cross.

Lovepeppers said:
Use some little scissors to cut off the flower petals right before opening of mother plant. With tweezers pull off stamens of mother plant so her pollen won't fertilize her pistil. Collect pollen from father with brush then pollinate mother pistil. You should get all seed of the cross.
Or cut the flower off of the father plant.

Oh boy...it just got complicated. 

How do you tell male from female flowers? Or do you just mean the mother plant as the receiver of pollen and father as the giver?

ThePepperTrent said:
They're the same thing. Cruzz just explained it in a much simpler way. I'd love to see that cross if it was successful!
Ah...ok. Yeah, I'll keep it updated for sure if those blooms turn to peppers and turn into something cool.

Is emasculating the pepper necessary? Everytime I cut off the flower petals and remove the pollen pods, then gently pollinate it the bud usually drops within 24 hours

how much does it lower the odds of the cross if you just open a flower and dump in a bunch of pollen? I have been just going to the father plant with a fine brush and tapping pollen from flowers onto my brush. That bud pollinates and it only takes a couple to get huge amounts of pollen on my brush.

i watched a youtube video of a university working pepper crosses. They didnt emasculate. Just rubbed bees on one then the other

Gentlemen bees way before us don't rip up the flowers to pollinate plants. A feather or a brush does the trick. I reserve the ripping to watermelon, squash, and cucumbers. Now their might be a hybrid pepper too stupid to breed but I haven't seen one yet.

Back