• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

quick question

I started all my seedlings in 4" pots when they were about 4" our taller i moved them ro 6" pots. This seemed to let them explode in growth. Must of my plants raced to around 8" after they got their bigger homes. However, for a good while now there had been no more growth, I've looked on here and seen much bigger plants than mine in 6" pots. I decided to try and go ahead and move one of my 8" bhuts to a 5 gallon bucket to see if he takes off again. When i removed it from the 6" pot i noticed it had a MASSIVE root system. Literally circling the pot was a wall of roots that made it slightly difficult to shake out the old soil. So my question is: an i doing something right? I've read here that you want a good root system, but is it ok if my plants are needing to be re-potted at this size? Thanks again everyone, i wouldn't have made it this far without your expertise.

You're doing something right. Once the roots circle the bottom of the pot you want to pot up for the best potential growth. Some people leave them in longer, but that's up to you. I find that the plants I potted up faster are growing the biggest now that they are in the ground.

I don’t allow the plant roots to start circling the bottom of the pot if I can avoid it. As soon as I see some roots thru the drain holes (bottom & sides) I pot up. They love fresh added soil and space because they continue to shoot up and explode with new growth. When you pot up it gives you the perfect opportunity to add some soil additives. I will normally added egg shells, banana skins (chopped to 1” squares), chicken poop, coffee grind (less than 10%), match head and shredded seaweed. Good luck in your 2013 grow!

Sounds like they are root bound.  This is typical for plants in smaller pots that arent moved frequently enough.  It shouldn't be a big deal, but you should pot up as soon as possible.  When I do, I like to tease out some of the roots to help them to point down instead in the circling pattern which could affect growth even further.  I would pot them up to their final pot, or as close to it as you have available to you.  They will probably take a few days or a week to get used to their new home and then begin to take off again. 

You are doing well. They are just root bound, as everyone else suggests, so won`t grow much more. Pot them up and they will love you for it!

Back