• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Recommendations for peppers plants in DWC. Seem like they are slowly dying

FearTheReaper said:
Hey boss,

First, I typed chinenese and the autocorrect caught me...sorry about that.

I'm not really suggesting anything (I am brand new to this whole thing, and feel like I am not in a position to make any real recommendations), just that I have had the same experience, but it seems to be working out.

Here is a picture of a Bhut Jolokia that I am growing that has gone through several of these leaves dying, and then growing incidents. It has been living under a T5 fixture since it popped, and got moved into the 4"x4" rock wool once the second or third set of true leaves emerged. It's still short, the leaves are small but it is branching a lot!

Hopefully someone with a lot more experience than me will be able to give solid advice :)

Your plants seems to be thriving well.

I removed one of the smaller ones and placed them back in the soil. I noticed small white roots starting at the base of the stem on that one but it seems happier in the soil now. The other bigger plants are showing growth a the top of the plant but suffer from the darkened roots. Seems the top of the plant looks lively and the lower leaves are curled and spotted.

Selest said:

Thanks scrufy, I appreciate the detailed advice. These are indoors grown in soil before I put them in the dwc. I will throw out the old water and go 1/4 mix to start and go from there.

You think they have a chance based on what you see in the pic?
Yep, ive seen way worse than that pull through.
Sorry didnt get back to you, i went on vacation.
You are checking the ph too right?
If its off it usually causes yellowing, just mentioning it because its important.
They can do with 5.5 - 6.5 but mine always seem to do best around 6.1-6.2 .
Also make sure the water isnt too hot. Under lights and a pump running can heat it up.
Not sure of the upper limit because I keep a few frozen 2 liter soda bottles of ice in the freezer and if its going to be a 100 degree day I toss one in.(thats in a 20 gallon reservoir) . I keep my water below 80 but ive read in the past 75 is good.
Nobody ever talks about the water temp because its not too common of a problem, but it is a remote possibility so look at it a couple times just to be sure of what its like.

Back