• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Rootbound? (Pic)

Let me first say that I used the search function, but couldn't find a very good answer, which struck me as odd, considering I would think this was a common newbie question. Anyway...

I am a first time grower this year, and I am hooked. Unfortunately inexperience led me to start my peppers a bit too early (middle January.. I am in Z6/7 in SW VA) and I am getting a bit worried about their size. I have them under a 432W T5 system and have been cutting back on light time, increasing light height above plants, and lowering the temperature of the closet that these guys are growing in to slow them down for another 3 weeks or so until they go outside. I have also been taking them outside on warm days to gradually harden them off so the final hardening will not be as difficult on them.

Here is a pic of my closet, which includes Bolivian Rainbows( elevated in the center... these are the ones that were attacked by some larvae of some sort), Cayenne, Long Red Cayenne, Orange Habanero, Early Jalapeno, Tabasco, Bhut Jolokia, and some tomatoes:

IMG_0881.jpg

The long reds and tabascos are in the back rows at the ends, and they are about 12" high. All plants are in 6" wide/deep azalea pots.

At what point are these ppepperss too large for these pots? Despite my efforts and because of my inexperience, I am not sure as to when these pots will be too small for the plants, thus hurting their development later.

Any thoughts? Should I move them to larger pots and move them somewhere out of the closet?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

I think if you slow the growth rate a little they should all be fine mate.

The 12 inch plant will be getting close but should last a few more weeks, but I would make sure you get them in a bigger pot as soon as the weather is better outside...

Even if they get a bit more of a root base than normal it shouldn't do any major damage.....and may help the plant when re-potting....

Dang! That's nice!
Mine are sooo small and scrawny in comparison. You should be proud.
As far as root bound, don't worry about it. If they are root bound, it won't make a difference for a few weeks...just make sure they don't dry out too fast.

moyboy said:
I think if you slow the growth rate a little they should all be fine mate.

The 12 inch plant will be getting close but should last a few more weeks, but I would make sure you get them in a bigger pot as soon as the weather is better outside...

Even if they get a bit more of a root base than normal it shouldn't do any major damage.....and may help the plant when re-potting....

What moyboy said.
If they are rootbound and you are unable to pot-up, its not a big deal, just make sure to water them a little more frequently and you'll probably want to top-water so as to not encourage roots to grow out the bottom of the pot

Back