• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Salsa Recipe Question

I am in the process (as I type) of making 6-7 pints of canned (water bath) salsa.

I am putting together the ingredients of the Jalapeno Salsa in the Ball Blue Book (guide to preserving). This recipe calls for the same number of cups of peppers as it does for tomatoes. In all of my fresh salsa made this Summer, I never equalized the volume of tomatoes to peppers. One Hab in one cup of fresh salsa, was about right for my taste.

I know that I can substitute Habs for some or all of the Jalapeno (which is what I am intending to do). I also know I should not play around with volumes specified in canning recipes so as to not throw off the proper acidity/safety issue.

However, is this equal volumes of pepper to tomato realistic? Or, is it a typo?

How should I do this??? I am about ready to simmer, so need advice promptly.

M<any thanks!T

I am in the process (as I type) of making 6-7 pints of canned (water bath) salsa.

I am putting together the ingredients of the Jalapeno Salsa in the Ball Blue Book (guide to preserving). This recipe calls for the same number of cups of peppers as it does for tomatoes. In all of my fresh salsa made this Summer, I never equalized the volume of tomatoes to peppers. One Hab in one cup of fresh salsa, was about right for my taste.

I know that I can substitute Habs for some or all of the Jalapeno (which is what I am intending to do). I also know I should not play around with volumes specified in canning recipes so as to not throw off the proper acidity/safety issue.

However, is this equal volumes of pepper to tomato realistic? Or, is it a typo?

How should I do this??? I am about ready to simmer, so need advice promptly.

M<any thanks!T
While I'm not suggesting you change anything stated in the Ball blue book...If I were making a batch of salsa for myself,I wouldn't have any problem substituting other veggies(ie onions,celery,green peppers)in palce of some of the hot peppers.I would just make sure that my total volume was close to the printed recipe... especially using the same amounts of salt and or vinegar called for.

Thanks.
I didn't ask the question very well, but that is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'm doing the full number of cups: half jalapenos, 1/4 bells and other odds and ends and 1/4 habs.

I'll see how it is as I'm simmering.

Thanks again.

Those recipes are full proof, my family has "canned" for years. Most salsa recipes here or there use a "Trinity" of vegetables. The bells add a mild form of sweetness, as some people
frown at the thought of a "hot" salsa. Tomatoes range in acidity, so a tight recipe would not be deemed safe for the hobbiest. Hence, most recipes will call for some type of "added" acidity whether it be lemon juice or citric acid. That guarantees the product room temp shelf stable if processed correctly.
Myself, I have my own recipes, followed each time to a tee. Never a problem, I rely on expierence and a good ph meter.

Biggest mistake people make would using poor quality produce.....don't skimp on quality

Greg

Back