• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

consistency Sauce too thin

I was experimenting yesterday in my laboratory (i.e. the kitchen) and made a quick sauce with some of the leftover habaneros and fruits that I had frozen from last season. Since everything was vacuum sealed and frozen fresh, I did not add any additional water. In order to reach the proper acidity, I added some lime juice and white vinegar. The sauce ended up being pretty nice but is far too thin. I cooked it down about 50% and it still made little difference. Does anyone have any sauce thickening tricks out there???

I just cook mine down til I get the thickness I desire. Took some time to get used to the fridge factor. You have to stop a little before the thickness you want so when in the fridge it gets there.

Usually I prefer cooking the sauce down. Brown sugar is helpful. Honey too.
I also have made good experience with pectin. You can either buy pectin products like jelly sugar or chop an apple and let it oxidate for at least half an hour. As soon as it is brown it has a good amount of pectin. But it may add a bit of the apple flavor.

Back