• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens Scottish pubescens trial

Hi Guy's

Given the cooler climate the pubescens are from and can tolerate I decided to make 2023 my Scottish capsicum pubescens trial.............grown outside here in Scotland ! 😳

I've 7 contenders in my trial.............I've a winner in respect of being the first to fruit outside in a Scottish summer.

" Rocoto long " from seaspring seeds in Dorset (the Dorset Naga people)

20230715_114151.jpg

20230715_114207.jpg

My first fruit Rocoto long..........the flowers of the pubescens are simply spectacular !

Stephen

Last edited:
Hi Guy's

Given the cooler climate the pubescens are from and can tolerate I decided to make 2023 my Scottish capsicum pubescens trial.............grown outside here in Scotland ! 😳

I've 7 contenders in my trial.............I've a winner in respect of being the first to fruit outside in a Scottish summer.

" Rocoto long " from seaspring seeds in Dorset (the Dorset Naga people)

20230715_114151.jpg

20230715_114207.jpg

My first fruit Rocoto long..........the flowers of the pubescens are simply spectacular !

Stephen
Hi Stephen,
Which other Pubescens did you include in your trial ? How are they getting on ?

Last edited:
Hi Guy's

My Scottish pubescens trial and when I say trial I mean "bung" 7 different pubescens into 15/20Litre pot's and pretty much neglect except feed now and then.

I'm looking for "bonus" low maintenance out door chillies for my wee Scottish garden as I'm really concerned with my superhot greenhouse trial this year the pubescens have been neglected and not really monitored idea being at the end of the season something may so promise that I concentrate on in the future basically I figure the neglect will so the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Re your query regarding which pubescens has made me pop out to the garden this morning between heavy rain showers bright sun then black sky's which seems to be cycling round and round ! Good old Scottish summer 🤣

2023 Scottish pubescens neglecttion trial:

1. Chocolate locoto (realseeds)

2. Rocoto long (seaspring seeds)

3. Yellow traveller (realseeds)

4. Turbo pubes (la palmas)

5. Costa Rican red ((la palmas)

6. Albertos locoto (realseeds)

7. Aji Largo ( uk site ?)

Chatting with my buddy in Wales who grows alot of pubescens outdoors he reckoned the Rocoto long and Aji Largo to likely be one annd the same........? Or possibly a selection of the later ........

They do look very similar but from what I've seen to day one certainly is out doing the other !

20230813_083836.jpg

The Costa Rican red despite the neglect has managed to produce not a huge amount but a few nice pod's 👍

20230813_083950.jpg

Likewise my Aji Largo has survived the neglect and produced a few nice pod's 👍

20230813_083429.jpg

However Rocoto long has thrived in my neglect it has the biggest and most pod's and is way ahead in number of pod's. :party:

Everything else has either no real sign of pod's despite being covered in flower's or has a few ting pod's 🤔

2024 Pubescens trial will involve likely one or two subjects much bigger pot's and alot less neglect 😉

Hope this us of interest and help

Stephen

Last edited:
Thanks Stephen,
Your list is very useful to me. I am about to start a similar trial for 2024 season. I hope that it will be as successful as yours.
Daibhidh

Back