• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles Scoville rating for yellow 7 pods?

I am adding yellow 7 pod seeds to my hot pepper seed list and was writing up a description for them. I wanted to put an accurate rating for them and wanted to get some opinions, or, if you know what they have been tested at, this is even better. I saw a site that said they were between 800,000 and 1,000,000, but you know how that goes as far as what people will say on their website. We eat these at least every Monday night (for our weekly spicy Monday get together)so I have had plenty of these over time, and if I had to guess what they come in at just by tasting them, they seem to be around 700,000, give or take. They certainly don't burn as much as Bhuts. So anyway, I'd like to hear what you all have to say on this. Thanks, Tom

i would say that is hard to put a definitive answer on that some ive tasted were less hot than fatalii and anothers that made bhuts seem tame

^^^^what he said, you can put a number on the pods that were tested, but the reality is that you will probably not get pods that ARE that hot.

if you are putting numbers up for reference i would just use the scott roberts's scale. (roberts's is that right? haha) his seems pretty updated. i think the yellow 7 is 800,000 to 1,200,000 units.

IMO, as a general rule, the yellow varieties are not as hot as their red counterparts...this is just from the yellow varieties I have grown (which is a bunch)...they are hot enough....~750,000 it seems...IMO it would be better if you report the low number and if it is hotter, the people won't be disappointed...and remember, there aren't really that many people that even know what a scoville heat unit (shu) is...

...and remember, there aren't really that many people that even know what a scoville heat unit (shu) is...

i agree with this completely. I should have added that i normally just tell people that these peppers are a couple hundred times hotter than a jalapeno on average.

I'd say definitely under 1 million. There aren't really that many peppers over 1 mil. and the y7s are much milder than other 7 pod crosses

ever had scorpion juice on your foreskin?....yup...standing at the sink with the cold water running.........

hey, that's a new scale...how long you have to run cold water over your privates until it stops burning....like 30 minutes for a scorpion....

I'm growing Yellow 7 Brain Strain this year for the first time. Any thoughts on how they would compare to the standard Yellow 7?

ever had scorpion juice on your foreskin?....yup...standing at the sink with the cold water running.........

hey, that's a new scale...how long you have to run cold water over your privates until it stops burning....like 30 minutes for a scorpion....

AJ, I vote you personally do all the testing for the different varieties. You are, by all rights, one of the experts around here. Heck, I will send you fresh peppers to get started with. I'm sure between everyone on the forum we can come up with a pretty darn comprehensive selection of the popular varieties.

Totaly agree with Aj and potawie , my brother and I had a couple of pods today and I'll tell y'all what ..... Heck all the yellows were much less hotter than the reds . We tryed bhut jolokia (red) , bhut jolokia (yellow) , T scorp butch t (red) , Tscorp yellow (cardi) , douglah x butch t (red) , 7pot brain strain (yellow) , and naga morich (red)

The reds were way hottet every time but the yellows had better flavor every time .... Good thing of all this is that ... I think I found my new favorit super hot ! .... the Naga Morich , I found it hotter than the butch t and the red bhut . Honestly killer pain straight for the throut .

I was going to say the same thing. We'll get AJ to be our new tester for the washing off the parts scale. I'm sure there is a ratio that is close to the one for as long as the heat stays in your mouth.
I know there are a lot of people who don't know what a Scoville Heat Unit might be, but as I build my new site, I want to educate as many people as possible and have as much good info as possible. You look through these different sites trying to sell pepper seeds and about a 3rd of them are still saying "the ghost pepper" is still the hottest pepper in the world. When I first started looking at all these sites, that just told me that those people don't keep up with the very business they have chose to work in. At some point in time, I would like to add some cultivation articles that will help new people who are getting into our unusal hobby. I constantly experiment with everything I grow and I have found a few interesting things about working with these pepper plants that would make a big difference in how people's plants will turn out. I really don't think of myself as a pepper expert by any means, so I may hold off before I work on any articles, but still, I know enough that will help the new people. Lets face it, we are always learning new things, even when we have done the same thing for more than a decade. (or decades) I guess I just have been a little dissappointed in some of the sites and want to help get good information out to people. This site, of course, is the best there is, but it is mainly because of all the great people who visit the site. I just looked at the GW hot pepper forum recently and as expected, there is no comparison. At least a couple of the people on this forum are in there though, so they have some hope.
On the question of the yellow brain, I just got a box of those, and mentioned it in a separate post, but a group of us taste tested quite a few of them and some were pretty much the same as the yellow 7 pod, and then others showed different degrees of extra heat, as well as having a blend of taste as well. You almost could taste a little bit of the red taste mixing with the predominant yellow taste, and the ones that had a stronger red taste were also the hottest. One really bad one made a few people sweat way worse than the scorpions we were eating and the extra burn seemed to be delayed at first, and then held on for an extra amount of time. These may be one of my new favorites. I took the seeds from the best ones and will grow them out to see if I can make some plants that are more stable for the exact heat and flavor that would make these unique. I have about 80 seeds to work with, so that will be fun.

On the question of the yellow brain...and some were pretty much the same as the yellow 7 pod...

that's because the yellow brain is a yellow 7 that has been grown out for the "brain" characteristics...no difference in flavor or heat IMO....same with the red seven and red brainstrain...I have grown them side by side and honestly could not tell any difference in the heat...I think Cappy's original seed source was the same as mine...

I think I can always taste the difference between a yellow and a red pod. In my opinion the color contributes a lot to the flavor and the heat level.
I always seem to prefer yellow pods but they are usually milder

Back