• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Second attempt at awesome hot sauce

Heya!

This is my third attempt at a fermented hot sauce. The first two were really great and I've learned a lot from making them!

I made a thread about my first one but I didn't think of taking any photos of the finished product, but it was amazing. For my second ferment, i used quite a bit of pineapple in the mix which made the ferment start really quickly because of all the sugar.

I got a book on the subject of fermenting vegetables from my girlfriend and since then I've done a few batches of sauerkraut and fermented carrots and tomatoes, which all turned out amazing. Since doing hot sauce is pretty much the same thing (fermenting vegetables), I've decided to not use any starter at all in this one. 2% salt in the 2kg mix should give the lacto bacteria some nice ground to start on. I used a 2l (about 4 quarts) jug with 40g of salt (diluted in water and mixed in at the end), 300g of habanero, 500g of red chiles, 3 heads of garlic (huge), 2 onions and a bunch of carrots to fill everything up. The taste is incredibly good, so now I'm just waiting for things to start.

img4290q.jpg

You can imagine the jug oriented the correct way ;P After 2 days the pressure has started to build up. I "burp" the jug now and then to get the excess pressure out. There is a gap of about 2 inches of air in the jug to give me some space for expansion, which I am expecting in a few days. I don't open it completely, just enough to release pressure.

I am very aware of the common use of a starter, but since fermenting lots of other veggies at the same salt halt, I decided to go wild here and hope for the best! Wish me luck :)

I will keep taking pics of the progress.

Have fun!

/Philip

5v0n74.jpg
Well my own second attempt at fermented hot sauce is on it's way!

My grams to ounces conversion wasn't exact. About 1.25 lbs red jalapenos, about 12oz habs, little over a lb of vidalia onion, 1 lb carrots, 3 heads garlic and about 1.5 oz of salt diluted in 1 cup of water. I tasted before jarring and it was nice and hot! We'll let it ferment for a couple four weeks and see what we get. Thanks again Phillip!

;)

5v0n74.jpg
Well my own second attempt at fermented hot sauce is on it's way!

My grams to ounces conversion wasn't exact. About 1.25 lbs red jalapenos, about 12oz habs, little over a lb of vidalia onion, 1 lb carrots, 3 heads garlic and about 1.5 oz of salt diluted in 1 cup of water. I tasted before jarring and it was nice and hot! We'll let it ferment for a couple four weeks and see what we get. Thanks again Phillip!

;)

Looks great! Just make sure that you have an airtight container so you get an anaerobic (no oxygen) environment as soon as possible. Just "burp" it from time to time to release excess pressure. You should get some bubbling action going after a few days :) Oh, we want pics of the action ;D

/Philip

Nice job Philip... you've certainly progressed in your ferments! Too bad you can't post the smell on a website... ;)

Thanks a lot stickman! Yeah, I've been reading up like crazy on fermenting. If all goes like plan I'll be getting the next batch or the batch after that tested for safety to get all the permits to start selling ^^ I think i will start making it a bit more runny tho, closer to tabasco. Just to get higher volumes. Will have to up some of the flavors then tho :) Probably a bit less onions, more carrots, more habs, less red chiles, maybe more garlic. Still time to experiment! ;)

Oh, I'm gonna buy some seeds from semillas.de to get some more fun chiles to work with :D Didn't know seeds were that dirt cheap! They seem to be legit too, according to another forum.

Back