• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seeds frozen in time

I planted a bunch of seeds around the 1st of the year. I had a bunch germinate and then everything seemed to come to a grinding halt. I planted

Black Cobra (ebay)
Mustard Hab (ajijoe)
White Bhut (smokinasschilli)
Large White Hab (ajijoe)
Lemon Drop (Burpee)
Peruvian White Hab (THSC)
Scarlet Lantern (Peppermania)
Aribibi Gusano (Peppermania)
Fatalli (THSC)
Yellow Devil's Tongue (ajijoe)
Carribean Red (Ferry-morse)
Scotch Bonnet (THSC)
Japanese Hot Chili (from the grocery store)

It seems like everything came to a screeching halt after they started off great. I have them on heating pads and have CFL's on them. So far the scotch bonnet hasn't had any germinate, the peruvian is 1/6, fatalli 2/6, scarlet lantern 2/6, black cobra 2/6, the rest are almost all germinated, but everything seemed to happen within the first week, then nothing since. My seed sources are mostly reputable so I'm sure the viability is not the problem. The peppers that sprouted are doing good. Anyone have any idea what's going on? They are in burpee seed starter mix and i water them when they look dried out with a drop or two of superthrive in the water. I planted a bunch of annum varieties in peat pellets the week after and they are almost all germinated. They're right next to the chinense and baccatum box with the same heat level, water, and light.

If the seed starter is adequately moist and the temp is warm enough, then I have to agree with Sic...nothing else you can do :(

That happen to my serrano plant its been 6 months and its still2 inches with 4 true leaves, its just frozen in time, all my other plants just left em behind, I put it on the warmest spot with the most light

so what is your light source? and what's your growing environment look like - you may have to cover the seedlings with a dome to increase the humidity levels.

oh, and welcome to the club of frozen seedlings, this happens to all of us. just remember, plant growth is a combination of humidity, nutrients and lighting conditions to produce photosynthesis for plant growth. and just when you think you got everything figured out, bam!, something else gets thrown into the mix to halt your seedling growth.

good luck champ!

im using the burpee seed starting thing as well, i started off good now it all stopped so far all i got is 5 out of 12 bhuts, 3 out of 4 butch t's, 4 reg scorps, 0 out of 4 chocolate habalokia, 0 out of 4 white habs, 2 out of 4 red cari habs, and 0 out of 4 habs! all planted on christmas day

I tried that burpee mix, and when it seems dry its bone dry, I had to take the end off the sprayer, misping wasn't enough. Dig one up and see if it started then died out...

Do you have a thermostat or at least a good thermometer to measure soil temps? You may want to forget the superthrive, its not needed or generally recommended around here

I noticed that when there is not enough room for the plants they dwarf and stop growing. I do not know if that applies to you but that is one reason they stop growing. It is like they know when there are too many plants near them and stop trying to grow.

I put a 1 inch layer of orchid mix in a tray and started seeds but a lot of them just stopped growing after a month.

Just my observation---good luck

I've had plants stall before...I repot them with some quality soil rinsing the roots and maybe even trim them back a little, let them recover in a cooler/shadier spot for a couple days then move them to a different location from their previous position. Usually works, but sometimes you just get a seed with bad genetics and they just don't do anything. As far as the seeds not sprouting...I have a good setup with a thermotat and got 100% on most of my varieties, but in the same tray where everything was sprouting like crazy I only had 1/4 chocolate bhuts sprout. I chalk it up to bad seeds in my case.

You need to check your temps for sure. My germ tray without a thermostat stays between 80 and 90 degrees and we keep it pretty cool in the house at night. If I put it in the sun or under lights the temp can get up over 100. Remember that the mats are designed to raise the temp by x degrees...from the burpee website: "distributing an even 10-20 degree increase in temperature"
So if its already 85-90 degrees under your lights you are pushing the temps to well over 100 and probably cooking the seeds....I would restart some and watch the temps. Before I started using the thermostat...I regulated temps by keeping a meat thermometer in the top of one of my plugs and placing towels over/under them to insulate until I figured out the sweet spot which for me was no towel during the day, and towel full on at night. Good Luck!​

Also...some seeds can tolerate higher/lower temps than others, but the chinense varieties are notoriously picky...

I think your temperatures might be too high. Are you getting some scragglers with skinny cotyledons? That usually seems to be a sign that temperatures are too high. My hydrofarm thermostat malfunctioned allowing the temps to get way too high for about 12 hours and it really slowed things down. By malfunctioned, I mean it stopped turning the light on/off when temperatures went about 85F. The light is plugged into the thermostat, and the little red light that says "heating" was not on, yet the light stayed on when temperatures went above 85F. For some reason it just quit turning the socket on/off and now is always on regardless of the time, so my $25 thermostat has now become a $25 thermometer.

hmmm i dont have supplied heat from a heat pad instead i use a clamp light, the bottom of they tray feels warm but not hot, you think i should wait longer to see if i get any results or should i just throw in the towel...they were sowed on Dec 25 and previous to that i had the seeds soaking in room tempature water for a full day.

a month and 0? Buy a cheap meat thermometer at wally world and see what ur temps are. A real seed heating mat is less than $20 online...and you can but the combo covered tray, jiffy pellets and heating mat for about $30 at HD. Just as an idea I have done 3 sets of seeds since you started yours...I still have a few stragglers that are going nowhere, but all my varieties started to pop between 4 and 10 days. Some take longer...if its been over a month with 0 something's wrong. Temp, soil, moisture or seeds...good luck!

i have had 14 out of 36 pop up, havent had anything pop up since mid jan, have another kit that i started on the 16th of jan but nothing from that has popped i think its too hot i guess, thx for the advice

i have had 14 out of 36 pop up, havent had anything pop up since mid jan, have another kit that i started on the 16th of jan but nothing from that has popped i think its too hot i guess, thx for the advice

Just curious...how many of the ones that popped were toward the outside of your setup, and how many toward the center??? I remember your post in ghetto grow gear and I'm willing to bet most of the ones that came up were around the outside edge of your clamplight setup...and if none or very few in the center popped that would lead me to believe that heat is the issue...if its the other way around (more popped in the middle) you don't have enough heat or its not beind distributed very well. If its a distibution problem you can add a metal cookie sheet under your grow tray to spread the heat...if you're getting too much heat in the center you can add the cookie sheed, with a little insulation (washcloth) in the center of the cookie sheet above the lamp and then place your seed tray on that...if you want it to transfer more heat keep the washcloth damp...if less keep it dry.

Better yet get you a heat mat! I used an electric hand warmer for my first set this year and had to monitor closely and add/remove towels to get it just right. I dont remember what my exact % were that time, but I got really good results. Even with my Habs that I planted that round. I then bought the heat mat...and that thing is money well spent.

actually the ones in the middle did a little bit better, on this chart below the greens ones are the ones that sprouted
381565_314697598568591_100000850614845_851420_851902186_n.jpg

Ok...so that tells us that the heat wasn't reaching the seeds on the right almost at all...and the ones on the left maybe barely enough and the heat was close to good in the middle, A couple options. Keep everything the same and move unsprouted seeds to the center...add a heat sync of some sort (metal cookie sheet) to distribute the heat, add another light, or buy a heat matt. I would still invest a couple bucks on a meat thermometer to help you figure it out. You are shooting for 83-85 degrees at seed depth in the soil, anywhere in the 80's is pretty good and should produce results.

Back