• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Sept. Throwdown Question

I can understand why you would think people default to it when in every cooking show they start with S&P, and it's on every dinner table. But that is for a reason. It works most of the time as your essential seasoning to build on. That said, of course you should experiment and see what else works and most here do, and are not defaulting. :)

There's been a special place in my heart for cracked black pepper (and that old pepper mill I inherited) since I was 5 years old....around the breakfast table. Me, my dad, and grandfather would see just how much pepper we could grind on our fried eggs and biscuits and gravy....then sopping up the blackened slurry up with toast and strips of thick bacon....

OH YEAH.....nothing better!!

Black pepper is the single focal point of my obsession with hot things.

P.S. Grits would be nothing......NOTHING without salt and fresh pepper!!! :woohoo:

It's all good, geeme, and I understand what you are saying about a specific spice. You just happen to not like black pepper, my hubby just happens to not like cilantro (I LOVE it),

And I make a dressing and a jelly with lavender. Most LOVE it, some HATE it....my best friend couldn't even try my products because she couldn't stand the taste/smell of lavender. Doesn't make my products bad....only that she did not like them.

Just realize that no spice or flavor in the world is the EndAllFinalComment.

Black pepper is one of the most widely used spices...(probably second to salt but I don't know for sure, just guessing) because it is so widely LIKED!

LOVE lavender, and have a lovely bag of lavender tea sitting on my kitchen counter right now. Unfortunately, recently moving the lavs in my garden just did them in - a very sad turn of events. But the russian sage and basil are going to town! Do you sell your lavender jelly?

pretty simple...if you don't like black pepper, don't use it...there are those of us (like JayT and myself) that like the taste of fresh cracked black peppercorns...

as far as the challenge goes...been there, done that...my taste is pretty simple...

and the thing about strawberries with grits...geez geemem gimme a break...come back to your Texas roots and leave all that northern cuisine behind... roflmao

Do you sell your lavender jelly?
yes, locally, it's not on the website yet. In fact I have a fresh batch from this years lavender that I just did last week.

And Paulky would cook with his toes if he had to, if it meant schooling you young'uns~~~ :lol:

We have our idea set, it was Salsakid's inspiration and I gotta say....It's a good one!

some of y'all been wondering where to get unusual meats...here's a place-

http://www.exoticmeatsandmore.com/

I hijacked that website from Lazienfat's quail dinner post. Don't think he'll mind sharing~ And since we seem to have 2 threads going about the throwdown, I'll post it on the other one also.
SL

Cracked pepper corn is ALWAYS a good spice. Plain and simple, if you dont like it, dont use it. Personally, I LOVE it. Im DYING to try some of Neil's pepper pepper. But, as Im sure most people would aggree, I doubt that spice ALONE would win you a throwdown crown. Ask me next month, I'll tell ya what it takes after I win my first one! :crazy:

Back