• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting Should I or shouldnt I in a mash

Ok, I have some orange habs and Bih Jolokias producing now. Im also growing pineapples and have plenty of them.
I want to make a blend mash with them.
Will prolly add some garlic to the mash.
1) Should I make a "Master stock" of just chilli then add that to a stove top cook up adding fruit, carrot etc? then adding enough vinager to reach a PH of 3.8?
2) Should I add all my secret :crazy: ingreedients into the mash then blend and ferment?

Thanks

I'll go with No.1

If you make a stock of chiles, you can make various different sauces later, instead of mixing all together into the mash.
Thanks mate,
I was leaning that way.

One more question,
Here in Australia most shelf white vinagar has no "Mother of vinagar" in them (Processed).
The only vinager I can find with the "Mother" is apple cider vinager.
Some say not to use apple cider vinager in chillie sauce,,,, Why?

Mick...I totally agree with Miksa.
I mix up a mash using only salt(w/no additives) and chile peppers.
The salt draws significant moisture out of the peppers,but normally I'll also need to add some distilled water to make sure the mash is completely submerged in the brine solution.
Then after it ferments and ages for at least a couple months, I put it in the fridge for use in whatever flavor hot sauce I happen to have a taste for.
The mash lasts for a very long time when refrigerated,and the additional aging just adds to the depth of flavor of the particular kind of chile used.
I really like using fresh pineapple. I envy you having fresh ones right in your own back yard.
As for the vinegar...I use cider vinegar regularly..and never have had any problems.
Actually, I am fond of using fresh lime juice instead, but I've also successfully used rice, wine, malt, balsamic vinegar's,(among others)... just depends on what flavor I'm going after.
Good luck...
CM

Mick...I totally agree with Miksa.
I mix up a mash using only salt(w/no additives) and chile peppers.
The salt draws significant moisture out of the peppers,but normally I'll also need to add some distilled water to make sure the mash is completely submerged in the brine solution.
Then after it ferments and ages for at least a couple months, I put it in the fridge for use in whatever flavor hot sauce I happen to have a taste for.
The mash lasts for a very long time when refrigerated,and the additional aging just adds to the depth of flavor of the particular kind of chile used.
I really like using fresh pineapple. I envy you having fresh ones right in your own back yard.
As for the vinegar...I use cider vinegar regularly..and never have had any problems.
Actually, I am fond of using fresh lime juice instead, but I've also successfully used rice, wine, malt, balsamic vinegar's,(among others)... just depends on what flavor I'm going after.
Good luck...
CM

Thank you very much.
I think you have both put me on the right track
I have a flavour in my head that I want to achieve, It makes sence to have a master stock as Im sure it will take a few go's to get there.
Also means that as my chilli varietys come to fruit, I can mix and match on the stove.

Back