• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Should I pot up or wait?

I have all my plants in a 1 gal pot at the moment and I can't place them outside until a month from now.
With some of them starting to flower and others doing fine, should I pot up one more time to say a 3-4 gal pot?

I should also mention that they seem to wilt a bit faster then they use to, and when I hit them with a bit of water they bounce right back.

Will be potting up some of my larger ones this weekend. The are not ready for the 1 gal pits, let alone the 3 gal, but they are needing more room to grow. I am hoping to get them planted in the garden early next week or the following weekend. As long as the weather gets better.
I would say pot up, cant hurt em but will deff help. Little extra work but will pay off in the end

What do the roots look like? How many plants? What is your budget? You can keep a rather large plant in 1ga. if fed properly. If they aren't showing major stress I would save the $ and ride it out. They may fruit prematurely from being bound up.

Will take a picture tonight and post it.
They all look healthy for the most part.
A few of them have bumpy leaves and one has twisted leaves, like almost upside down, not sure why that is..
They are all about 7-8 inches high.

I think I am just worried that they will become root bound if I don't pot them up asap.

Will take a picture tonight and post it.
They all look healthy for the most part.
A few of them have bumpy leaves and one has twisted leaves, like almost upside down, not sure why that is..
They are all about 7-8 inches high.

I think I am just worried that they will become root bound if I don't pot them up asap.

Bumpy or bubbling leaves could be a sign of over watering them, not sure on the twisted leaves or not but it could be over watering also

"Bumpy" leaves is more often a sign of over-fertilizing - the earliest stage of fert burn. Typical overwatering results in either the leaves yellowing or the leaves and/or stem getting edema. Hard to say, of course, without pics.

What Geeme said. She's spot on. Bumpy, misshapen, and twisted leaves are over-fertilization. The plant tries to take off growing faster than its cell structure allows it to and deforms the leaves. Here's an example:

8656877708_268f335851_b.jpg

What Geeme said. She's spot on. Bumpy, misshapen, and twisted leaves are over-fertilization. The plant tries to take off growing faster than its cell structure allows it to and deforms the leaves. Here's an example:

8656877708_268f335851_b.jpg
Actually, that's not what I was referring to. This looks more like mite damage.

Not the best example, but it'll do in a pinch. Look at the turquoise pot in the middle. Right below the cluster of pods on it's right side is a leaf pointing downwards. See how it's somewhat smooth towards the base, but wrinkly towards the tip? That's hte kind of thing I'm talking about, regarding the beginnings of fert burn. (Though the entire leaf could become like that.) You can see the other larger leaves on that plant have a bit of it, too, if you look carefully enough.

p5.jpg

Yeah.... I was talking about a serious case of over-ferts..... mine from last year.

Not mite damage at all.... serious over fertilization. They recovered after I backed off

peppers2013.jpg

I ended up potting them up to a 3 gal pot, which will give me time to keep them inside until late May when I can bring them outside.

Dude... those look good. I don't see the problem.

Maybe a little heavy on the ferts, but nothing drastic

They look fantastic! I think you could have left them in the 1 gal pots. But it looks like you have room enough for all your plants so you did the right thing.

Back