• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Sick Peppers but only with one kind, photo.

Little background;

I started and have been growing 8 different peppers this year from seed, including several super-hots.  I have not had even the remotest of problems this grow year until the last 48 hours.  About two weeks ago all my peppers started getting 3-4 hours outside plus indoor light time which has transitioned to all day outside this past week and no indoor light but inside the house at night still.  My peppers plus others I have recently picked up (thanks WichitaChief) are all just loving their time out even with the strong winds... all except one, my SBJ7's. :doh:   

I noticed them getting soft leaves and a bit of a soft-rubbery stalk a few days ago but thought that they were just still getting used to the outdoors and wind.  Today I come home and 2 of the 4 have snapped and the other two are laying limp over the edge of their current containers (1 gallon nursery pots for the record).  I have one staked up and the other I topped a bit to try and save, I have put them away from the others for now.  I noticed some patches on their leaves and have taken a picture to show you guys and see if something stands out to you.  I just find it so weird that I have 7 other types i've grown from seed along with 6 other types I have acquired that are showing absolutely no marks or signs of stress... 

Let me know what you know...  :think:

VYNoJOX.jpg

Might be sunburn, overwater, maybe overfertilization. I think I see a tiny bit of edema in the top right photo. Keeping them outside will help them dry out faster. I know a few of my ghost peppers looked like downright balls after the combo of overwatering and then hardening off. For me, removing most of the edema-affected leaves allowed new growth to explode once they were outside full time.

They have been in the one gallon containers for about six weeks, only watered when the leaves drooped enough that the lower leaves were touching the soil, approximately once a week.  Starting when they moved to the one gallon containers (six weeks ago): week 1 and week 3 they all got half the recommended dose of Fox Farm Big Bloom, week five they got the same half dose but of 1/4 Big Bloom and 1/4 Grow Big. They were watered yesterday but it is my off week for fertilizer.  It has been windy here and now that they are outside they definitely aren't sitting in a puddle by all means.  I trashed the two plants that broke and trashed the top of the 3rd one I topped so all I have pictures of is the remaining one that seems in somewhat stable shape now that its back in the infirmary under lights.  It doesn't show the same dark soft wrinkled spots as the other but does shows more of a more widespread sprinkling of light brown spots on the top but they are not like the others that had the dark wilty almost translucent spots.

bpkn8TO.jpg

Dx3cUIU.jpg

wdrov4z.jpg

Maybe a light case of fert burn. Those plants look fine to me. Have you sprayed the leaves with anything? Soap and water, maybe?

More pictures of the remaining un-topped SBJ7 survivor, different spots on top but a couple leaves show what may be an early version of what happened to the others. 

0ceGzCX.jpg

dUd4q26.jpg

suchen said:
For me, removing most of the edema-affected leaves allowed new growth to explode once they were outside full time.

Thanks Suchen, I removed the bad leaves from the one I topped. Hopefully it comes back around. Think I may be dealing with an issue combined with the fact they just got 'leggier' and more top heavy than the others.

Phil said:
Maybe a light case of fert burn. Those plants look fine to me. Have you sprayed the leaves with anything? Soap and water, maybe?

Have not sprayed anything up to this point Phil.

Back