• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Sleep... is for the weak?

How many hours of sleep does your body naturally tell you to get each night?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.2%

Votes: 5 20.8%

Votes: 8 33.3%

Votes: 6 25.0%

Votes: 2 8.3%

• more than 10

• Total voters
TheRedRocotoMan said:
lol I'm up at 4:00 a.m., I don't get much sleep. :tear:
good for you. Sleep is waste of life imo. Too bad our frail bodies need some. Strangest thing - as you get older you need less and less. Can't think of anything else health related for which that rule applies

lol.. well i dont sleep at night, i sleep during the day.. so typically i get 6 hours and im good to go. Many years of night shift work  has made this schedule good for me.. and i get paid a lot more  too..:)

impending_bending said:
good for you. Sleep is waste of life imo. Too bad our frail bodies need some. Strangest thing - as you get older you need less and less. Can't think of anything else health related for which that rule applies
That is just so untrue. If you don't get enough sleep that's simply not healthy and you will feel so much worse, even if you think you are ok.

AussieMitch said:
Three words:
DEATH
WISH
COFFEE.
Look it up. ;)
Exactly what I do. If you want it to start it's affects immediately, add some pepper dust in with the beans.*

I get around 6 hours normally. On the weekends, it depends on what I need to do, but I usually get five and then sleep on and off for a total of around 9 or so

*Cruzzfish Idea.co is not responsible for any of the following side affects: violent urges, warped perception of time, temporary insanity, temporary mind reading, intense pain, neural overload, the inability to wake up normally in the future, and your soul being sold to Slaanesh on account of the mental stimulation you will receive from using this combination of products. It is also inadvisable to use this combination in conjunction with any of the following: prescription medications, maple syrup lager, Skippy Schwarz's squid pies, or anything minty. The last one will hurt a lot.

impending_bending said:

Au contraire! Sleep is a vital part of maintaining anything remotely resembling good health and mental functionality.
impending_bending said:
You're getting old all wrong then

Having met you, I can say with some assurance, "You're not nearly old enough to make that judgement!"   :P 

If you think sleep is a waste then you must also think the consolidation of your memory and the healing of your body is a waste. And don't get me started on one of the many ideas I have on the values and possible reasons for dreams! The point is, sleep is not a 5-9 hour coma. It's an important and active time well spent. Get too little and as Geonerd said your mental health will suffer. Get too much and that is bad also. People who get more sleep than they need tend to be overweight.

Ahhh I love this thread and plan to comment more :) sleep is fascinating to me and it's one of the subjects I delve into in my spare time.

I keep a dream journal because I find it so interesting and important..

Have you ever had a lucid dream impending? When you can begin to control your dreams and explore your mind you may begin to see the process differently.

Yaaaaawn! Mmm. I just woke up from another great night's sleep on my Lazy Horse mattress!

I don't keep a dream journal anymore...

There are studies of people not getting enough sleep are tied to high body mass index #s. When you sleep you body does some housekeeping. If I get a least 7 to 8 hours a night I will not get sick. If I start to approach 6 every night, I notice my immune system is weaker, and I start to catch the colds and such.

McGuiver said:
There are studies of people not getting enough sleep are tied to high body mass index #s. When you sleep you body does some housekeeping. If I get a least 7 to 8 hours a night I will not get sick. If I start to approach 6 every night, I notice my immune system is weaker, and I start to catch the colds and such.
Same - if I don't get enough sleep it plays hell on my immune system.

Not just colds, but I am much more effected by allergies too.

I have fibromyalgia, and one of the "lovely" aspects of it is an inability to get into deep sleep. I have to take a pill every night in an attempt to get into deep sleep, but even so it doesn't always work. So I almost never wake up feeling refreshed - it's more like waking up with a hangover every day, only you didn't have a good time the night before to account for it. Let me assure you, if you get into deep sleep even a few times over just a couple hours, you're getting more rest than I am. Is sleep only for the weak? Yes - we are all weak in some form or fashion, and become weaker still by not getting enough sleep. You can only fool yourself for so long if you think otherwise.

Back