beer Slight overshot my OG....Passow Brews Part 2

I am not sure how you came to your figure for the expected gravity... I fed the numbers quickly into promash and get a rough estimate of OG=1078, and that does not allow for any effect from the pumpkin! The pumpkin will probably not be converted to alcohol anyway, and is most likely to remain in the brew giving you a high final gravity.

dreamboat

dreamboat said:
I am not sure how you came to your figure for the expected gravity... I fed the numbers quickly into promash and get a rough estimate of OG=1078, and that does not allow for any effect from the pumpkin! The pumpkin will probably not be converted to alcohol anyway, and is most likely to remain in the brew giving you a high final gravity.

dreamboat
My readings were accurate. I also typed in the recipe into a few different caculators and quess what? I got different OG every time. These things just aren't accurate and are just for ball park guesses.

This is funny that this thread popped up today, I'm bottling this beer in a few hours. I'll post the FG and abv in a bit.

HAHAHAH!!! I brewed a beer that isn't legal in Ohio!!!!!!! Our abv cap is 12%, my Imperial Pumpkin came out to be 12.1% (well, 12.052, but at that point you just round up).

FG was 1.008!!!!!!! I just tastes the sample I took for the hydrometer reading.........OMG this is AMAZING! Big alcohol taste up front then some malty/pumpkin sweetness mixed with a little spice!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

Time to bottle!

Finished....now to wait for carbination.....

beerpose1.jpg

beerpose2.jpg

It came out to be (if they all were placed in 12 ounce bottles) 55 bottles (buit I did some large than 12 ounce bottles too).

Sickmont said:
Time to sell some too.
Nice new avatar!

Up next on the pipe line is a clone of Stone's Russian Imperial Stout and I'm aiming for 10% abv, then I'll probably do a Belgium Triple or Quadrupple (probably a St. Bernardous[sp?] 12 clone) and aim for 15% abv or I'll do a Dogfish Head World Wide Stout clone at 20% abv..........we'll see.

For the summer I'm working on a fruit beer recipe. I'm going to take the recipe for my first beer (Passow's Senatorial Brunnette), bump up the abv to 5% and make it a Blackberry beer!!!!

imaguitargod said:
Nice new avatar!

Thanks. Sombody left out the turkey by mistake last year and thats how we found Santa on Christmas day:lol:

That top pic of you keeps reminding me of this:

DSCF7305.jpg

Lol, I believe that makes it the first ever imperial pumpkin ale!

Maybe that is the key, low abv pumpkin brews I have had weren't too great.

I made a fantastic roasted pumpkin seed brew last year.

Thanks! I actually had a fairly generic beer in secondary, and 6 or 7 brews in my belly, when we roasted some pumpkin seeds in brown sugar and cinnamon, and I thought, "what the hell!".

I dumped a healthy 2 cups or so into the clearing beer and it imparted a ton of flavor.

Back