• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Soil Life Span?

I have a opened sack of Ocean Forrest setting around since last years grow. I was wondering if augmented soil with nutes like Ocean Forrest, has a life span or if the soil can go "bad" or die.

If the bags are stored properly they should be fine.Obviously if they are left out in the elements leaching will occur. A certain amount of nutrients will be lost through natural degradation via microbes etc (and with nothing to replenish them they will not come back). At worst you will be left with some Inert soil which will require some boosting with some nutrients and good microbes... One issue you may have (if the soil has dried out too much) is it may have become hydrophobic ... Which may require some additional amendments to allow it to retain sufficient water and nutes

There's an expiration date on a bag of soil I bought a few weeks ago (vermisoil).  it expired summer of last year...  I didn't think of returning it...  

It's good indefinitely. You can reuse it each season as well, just add more nutrients to it, water it until it's damp like a wrung out sponge and let it sit for 30 days or more to cook.

I find MOST commercial soils SUCK after X amount of time WITHOUT additions,fresh or otherwise.

Whether it be teas,Ferts. or whatever.

I liked fox farm stuff at first BUT it sucked at fruiting time without adding nutes for podding up.
It has a lot of organics in it but runs out at about bud set without help.
Grew nice starts but FAILED past that stage without fert help.

I found a LOT of commercial mixes people like that they HAVE to use teas or whatever to get the grow they want from ???

To me GREAT soil = happy plants.
Having to mess with teas or whatever means your soil sucks in general +/- at first/from the start.

I DO see people FORCED to build up their soil FAST at the start.
BUT after BAD soil gets built up,all the popular Must do Teas are overkill,IF not bad news.
Teas etc. are GREAT IF you have a soil problem.

I've just seen a LOT of growers with REALLY BAD soil till a LOT of stuff into their soil the first year JUST to get Decent plants.
The second season The soils built up and all the teas or whatever were of no use IF not screwing up their plants with too much of whatever nutes...

IF you need whatever AT FIRST to get GREAT soil,it might be all you need in the first place.
Once your soil is cool,all you need most times is to replenish your garden with compost.

I don;t see an age date on a soil mix meaning much.

In general,ALL soil mixes that are considered as good are because they contain everything your starts or plants need-without additions.
Old stuff it seems to me would have more stuff in it that broke down in general.
I'D think older soils Might have more microbes or whatever in them than the original stuff did.
I see a soil mix with a lot of FORESTRY BY products might break down because nitrogen gets sucked up from the breakdown.So I guess it boils down to your nute trip.
A tea/high nitrogen addition WILL at first take care of the need to balance your soil and take care of the soils needs.

I personally think IF you get your soil together in the first place.you don't need the extra stuff you add at first to your grow.
Once you have good soil I think there is no need to mess with teas or whatever.
I see most of the MUST do stuff as a maybe must do for poor soil.
BUT once your soil is good,it is just a waste of time.
IF you built up your grow properly.

I see a LOT of tea guys as using them similar to hydroponics,bad soil depends on nutes fed all the time for plants to grow up to expectations.

My opinion is that as stated above,ONCE you have good soil,you just need to add some compost or whatever every year.

I've helped a couple people that have the same soil as mine that TOTALLY SUCKED(ADOBE) grow some great stuff,AFTER they spent a season adding teas and amending their soil( THEY DID A LOT OF ROTOTILLING TO ADD STUFF TO THEIR% SOIL).
First year was total labor.
Once the soil was built up I THINK the person has PROBABLY the best grow around.

It totally depends on whether or not there happens to be anything added like beneficial bacteria. If the soil is sterile, it will remain in sterile condition until the end of time. Soil can be "reset" by letting plants decompose in it.

Back