• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil mix

So after reading a fair amount, I have a lot of conflicting advice as to what soil mix I should be using for my chillies.
I live in a very hot environment in the north west of Western Australia, think Arizona without the cold nights, temps reach up to 50C in summer and around 25C in winter but we don't really get the bitterly cold desert nights.
Speaking to a guy up here who grows other plants, he recommended me the following mix and I was just curious as to what you guys thought of it?
25% perlite 25% vermiculite, 40% soil conditioner, 10% manure and a handful each of blood and bone, potassium sulphate and zeolite.
Bearing in mind my seedlings have only just germinated but will be planted in 20L containers as soon as they get their second set of true leaves.

n.b. Due to the nature of the environment and climate up here, I suspect these will have to be regularly watered, hence the high perlite and vermiculite ratios.

That soilmix will work. Vermiculite will try to hold some of the water in for you. 

There are tons of opinions / ways to make the soil.

So many people with so many different opinions and really it has more to do with than just your soil composition. 

LGHT has a great sticky with many varieties of soil mixes. The best thing I've found after a few years of being on here is to find some people in your area and see what is working best for them. I read about someone in Georgia growing huge plants and I can follow his same setup and have terrible results.

Here's the sticky:  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/10245-all-about-soil-a-great-resource-i-thought-i-would-share/

I wouldn't use Vermiculite as it retains water and there are reports of at least one mine having asbestos showing up in the vermiculite. I am using 5/16" red lava rock for my aeration amendment as its cheaper than perlite and better since it contains minerals.
Have you considered growing organic or not? I can give you the ingredients to a better container mix than most others you have heard of if you are willing to spend the time and money acquiring them. ;)

Proud Marine Dad said:
I wouldn't use Vermiculite as it retains water and there are reports of at least one mine having asbestos showing up in the vermiculite. I am using 5/16" red lava rock for my aeration amendment as its cheaper than perlite and better since it contains minerals.
Have you considered growing organic or not? I can give you the ingredients to a better container mix than most others you have heard of if you are willing to spend the time and money acquiring them. ;)

For what it is worth Usernametaken, you might want to check up on the materials available to you. PMD brought up a good point here on the asbestos scare, but a lot of times these things my only apply to materials sourced in the US.

That's half the issue, I'm 1400 kilometres from the nearest city so I have to make do with what I can get as sometimes the freight charges are ridiculous.
Any reason to not use Vermiculite other than the chance if asbestos? I would have thought that some sort of water retention in this climate would be a positive thing?

Usernametaken said:
I would have thought that some sort of water retention in this climate would be a positive thing?

It is. I actually don't see why you wouldn't use it either, plenty of soil mixes call for it. You could also use peat moss or coir; the main difference is that Vermiculite also functions as an aerator. Also mixing in compost and other organic materials would help a lot and also provide nutrients. To be honest, PMD has a great solution for you, but I would adjust the recipe based on what is available to you. In the long run a full organic setup would be less maintenance.

Time to read up on "full organic".

I'll try anything once. Fire away if you're willing to share.

Cat litter or floor dry are easily accessible alternatives to vermiculite.  I'm sure you can find cat litter at just about any local market and the stay dry at a hardware store.

Usernametaken said:
Time to read up on "full organic".

I'll try anything once. Fire away if you're willing to share.
Here you go. http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html
Usernametaken said:
I was lucky enough to get 100 litre each of perlite and vermiculite delivered to my door for $40AUD each hence my desire to utilise them :)
That's fine I didn't realize you needed the added moisture in the soil so yeah that would be fine.
I am going to mix 1/3 compost/vermicompost, 1/3 Sphagnum Peat Moss and 1/3 red lava rock for my base soil.

Thank you PMD for posting this link. I've been looking at what soil to use this season because I'm not happy with the bagged store bought stuff. I will be using this information. I'm new to growing (one season under my belt) and this link has so much information!

Back