• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Spacing in raised garden?

How should I space Trinidad Scorpion peppers and Ghost peppers in a 4x6 raised garden? How many plants will this accommodate without over crowding? Thanks!!

18" apart only if you absolutely have to.

24" apart is a nice happy medium that I use

28" if you have the room.

Scorpions and Bhuts will get huge in the ground so to answer you question you can accommodate 6 plants without over crowding.

I think it will all depend on how they grow. I have a 3 x 9 in which I grew @ 9" off the sides and 18" on center. They grew a little together but mine were low and bushy. If they grew more up it might have been different. I would suggest to start with them 12" off the sides to center and 24" center to center of each plant. So that should be a good start if they bush out. Only time will tell. Worse case is you could try low stress training to keep them from growing into each other.

24" sounds good. I was a newb last year and did 12" inches between each plant. BIG mistake. The faster growing ones overgrew the small ones so i lost some plants that way. Branches were intertwined, could not tell what is what. They were fighting each other for light and nutes i'm sure. Live and learn!

Before:

P1010455.jpg

After

P1020099.jpg

Today i'm doing my pepper plant grows in containers spaced nicely like this:

P1020848.jpg

Will they x pollinate that close, thinking yes. Most or many of us have relestate issues. I did both in ground and container last year but ended up with space issues too. This year ummm still trying to figure out and will be sending my sis a message that I require her back yard too but it's in her best interest seeing I'll see my niece and nephew more often, much more often.

Yeah they are likely to cross polinate all in the same 4x6 garden. You can try methods like gluing the flowers shut and putting nets over branches etc to isolate though. Not sure how truly effective those methods are, but several people seem to use them every year.

Back