• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Starting seeds in things other than trays

The other day I went to start a new batch of seeds only to discover that the domes to all but one of my trays are MIA. I am already a weeks behind on my tomatoes, have had piss poor germination rates with peppers, now I am not able to start anything. This is my first grow so I am unfamiliar with other methods. What else can I use? How useful are the trays without their domes?

No domes? How about Press 'n Seal or some other plastic wrap on your trays.
No trays at some time? How about yogurt cups or Cool Whip tubs or any other recycled plastic container.

I've never used a dome or other cover and I usually get 90% germ rate on 'normal' varieties (i.e. not bhut or anything tricky like that). Just dump some appropriate soil type stuff in a cup, usually peat or styrofoam, keep it damp and nature does the rest.

I stressed over my first grow too, but eventually I realized this isn't rocket science. When you go out to your garden in year 2 and there are a dozens of pepper seedlings popping up out of the ground from those few pods that dropped you won't be so worried about setting up perfect conditions for your seeds.

A cover is important it stops the soil from drying out while your out. Jiffy trays are cheap like 10 bucks for a 72 count tray with cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-5227-Starter-Greenhouse-72-Plant/dp/B00004RA45/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362972210&sr=8-1&keywords=jiffy+tray

I actually use styrofoam egg containers. I plant one seed in every cell and keep checking it every day or two for sprouts. I don't use a heating mat either - I just place the containers on top of my fridge. Seems to be working really well, as I get around 90% germination (except I am zero % on my Bhut Jolokia Brown). 2nd year I have done this.

Back