• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

bottling Sterilize and bottling sauce

Hi guys...im still studying on how to sterilize bottle as far as i learn right now there are 2 method to sterilize glass bottle that is boiling it in thewater and the other method  heat in oven..currently im using boiling method but somehow i saw some of my sauce got mold at the neck of the bottle and  sauce become bad and smell..maybe it was my fault also because i did not know that we must fill the sauce untill the neck of the bottle and i didnt flip it upside down after fill it hot.next time i will try this method..also i already buy pH meter i check my pH of sauce is 5.1 so i know right now that my sauce is not acidic enough to combat bacteria...so next time i will make sure i follow the step that ive learn..but the question is that my method is correct??or theres anything more that i need to know to make sure my sauce are well preserve..thanks :)

You have the basics right, with the changes you mentioned. Definitely need a lower pH, and flip. You can also sanitize by rinsing the bottles in a bleach water solution or use a no-rinse sanitizer available at brewing supply stores.

Good luck and have fun!

salsalady said:
You have the basics right, with the changes you mentioned. Definitely need a lower pH, and flip. You can also sanitize by rinsing the bottles in a bleach water solution or use a no-rinse sanitizer available at brewing supply stores.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks salsalady :)..ouh i wil try to use bleach then..hopefully my sauce will long lasting..actually im planning to use plastic bottle..do u think its good or stick with glass one?

Yes glass. Plastic bottles tend to melt and deform due to the heat of the sauce.

salsalady said:
Yes glass. Plastic bottles tend to melt and deform due to the heat of the sauce.
Ouh isee thanks...i already make my sauce today unfortunately its really sour due to amount of vinegar i add to it because i want to reach low pH level..my pH right now 4.1 ..is there any other option other than vinegar that can lower the pH but not change the taste

Add some sugar, fruit, agave, or other sweetener.

Thinking for the next batch, fruits like pineapple add acidity without the sour flavor of vinegar. Also try other vinegars like rice instead of white.

salsalady said:
Add some sugar, fruit, agave, or other sweetener.

Thinking for the next batch, fruits like pineapple add acidity without the sour flavor of vinegar. Also try other vinegars like rice instead of white.
Ouhhh did sugar also make the pH more acidity?thanks for the idea im gonna try it..thanks alot salsalady you really help me alot..really appreciate it :)

Back