• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting Still Harvesting - CMPMAN - 10/2/08

Still picking and picking. :)

Chris

P1070457.jpg

how much longer do you think you have before first frost Chris?

nice bunch of heat there...

Hey they look fantastic as always Chris. Just curious to how you actually pick your pods as when I pick mine I leave a bit of stalk on or have you just taken yours off afterwards?

I take the stalks off before I picture them RB. I wish all varieties were like Macho (C. Annuum) in which the pod drops from the stem automatically when ripe. That would be awesome.

I say maybe 2-3 weeks at best before frost. Last year was first of November which is highly unusual. We've had nights into low 40s so I'm hoping for an Indian Summer for a couple of weeks.

I have some awesome C. Baccatum plants absolutely loaded with pods. Unfortunately not one has shown a hint of color. Talk about CRAZY long ripening times. :) You would think 120+ days outside would trigger some color shift. lol.

I'm happy with my super hots. I believe I will successfully get 80%+ to ripen before frost. That's why I work hard to beat the odds in my short-season climate by starting early.

I've managed to get double crops out of Bih Jolokias, which seems hard here. Keep your fingers crossed for more warm weather.

Chris

rainbowberry said:
Hey they look fantastic as always Chris. Just curious to how you actually pick your pods as when I pick mine I leave a bit of stalk on or have you just taken yours off afterwards?

Chris,

I'm with you on the amount of time left. It's been in the mid-40s of a night and mid 60s of a day, so nothing is ripening very quickly. But it is suppose to warm up and maybe get into the very low 80s Monday. I hope to water the ground tomorrow morning/early afternoon so it cn warm a bit during day time.

Except for picking unripe toms and letting them ripen in bags, I figure I have no more than two harvests left and neither one will be that great. I was hoping for 28 more quarts of juice and eight more pints of whole toms, but will probably have to settle for 12 quarts of juice and four pints of whole maters.

But if I get lucky, I may have two-three pounds of peppers - there is a bunch of them that are nearly ripe.

Mike

Wow! Nice harvest Chris. The yellow scorpions do not look as pimply as the red ones. Is this the case with that variety?

Back