• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Substitution questions

I have a sauce recipe that calls for 10 Aji Panca chilies, I would like to substitute something else but I have no experience with Aji Pancas. I wish the recipe just gave me a weight or measurement. Can someone help me zero in on the right amount? What is the general weight of 10 Aji Pancas?

It would probably be quicker to ask this question in the growing forums or just google Aji Panca and see what comes up. That said, what is the balance of the recipe and what other pepper were you considering? Aslo, how hot were you shooting for? We can probably give you a good starting point from that.

Cheers,
RM

It's just a basic recipe modified to use Bhut Jolokia.

2 dried Bhuts
10 Aji Panca
2 cups distilled vinegar
2 tsp salt

The aji Panca is intended to make the sauce thicker without adding heat. I haven't decided what pepper to use instead. I found a similar recipe that calls for 1 lb of cayenne, 2 tsp salt and 2 cups vinegar. I'm thinking it's basically the same, but 1 lb peppers to 2 cups seems overkill, maybe I'm wrong.

If you want to stick to the Aji family try some Aji Amarillo otherwise any thick walled pepper is going to do the same thing. Another thing to try would be some carrots.

Back