• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Suggestion on winter shop light

I was successful keeping chiliplant.com peppers alive and oh those yummy orange really are yummy!!! I'm in CT and I wanna keep they alive and I also read I can keep them fruiting over the winter too. I keep the house around 66 all winter and in reading I see a shop light can keep them thinking it's still summer. What sorta light have you found to work well? I had been using a 15w growspot light to start my tomato seedlings with summer.

A good T5 fixture will give you the most bang for the buck/watt.

66F is on the cool side for a chile plant; 75F+ would be better if you plan on harvesting during the winter months.

It'd cost a fortune to make it that warm up here when it's negative outside.
A well insulated grow box lined with mylar in an indoor 66F environment and with a 6 bulb x 4' T5 fixture installed would raise the internal temp of the grow box above 75F and not add ANY heating costs above the operational cost of the light. Add timed fans/ventillation/plant stimulation. ;)

+1 what SS said...

how many plants are you going to over winter...

magic number for light and pod production is about 3K lumens per square foot...

You don't need much light at all if you just want to overwinter the plant and get it semi-dormant. If you want the plant to produce fruit, you'll need a lot more light and likely more heat which is not really efficient/profitable in cold climates

Do you have a closet to put them in. I did the same thing last year and a single 1000 HPS buld and hood worked fine. They not only grew and produced fruit they actually did better than they did outside so I had to cut it back to 6 total plants. The downside is the electricity bill went up around $25 a month because electricity cost a lot in cali. If you don't want huge results you could get by with a 600watt HPS setup and be fine.

Back