• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Sun burnt plants

I recently been starting to harden off my plants (I live in Toronto) and we have had some nice weather the last couple of days.
I have been moving them into the shade when they showed signs of stress, however I had to leave the city this past weekend and I came back to the plants looking pretty sun burnt.
I was wondering what i should do with the leaves, should I cut them off or just leave them and wait till they fall off on their own.

peppers_may2014.jpg

peppers_2_may2014.jpg

What you do with the leaves is up to you.  They will fall off on their own eventually.  Your plants will be fine though.  All new growth will automatically be hardened off if you leave them out in the sun.

Thats amazing. :shocked:...with your day time highs in the 70s i find it hard to believe a healthy plant would burn up like that.

I don't think the damaged leaves are going to do much processing so i would cut them off with some snips or pinch them if you finger nails.

Dreamweaver said:
Thats amazing. :shocked:...with your day time highs in the 70s i find it hard to believe a healthy plant would burn up like that.

I don't think the damaged leaves are going to do much processing so i would cut them off with some snips or pinch them if you finger nails.
could be 30 degrees and the sun can still burn plants. It's all about how much light they are used to not temps.

millworkman said:
could be 30 degrees and the sun can still burn plants. It's all about how much light they are used to not temps.
Also, also a 70°sunny day in February is different than a 70° sunny day in July.

i put tomatoes out in partial light the other day and they were looking bad after a few hours or partial light.... 

i will definitely harden off my plants when they go out...

You gotta cut the damaged leaves out ASAP. If you don't, the plant will continue to throw energy towards the damaged leaves, stunting new growth. I had this happen to me this year. They wouldn't grow any more. As soon as I cut off the damaged leaves...BOOM! 

The leaves aren't that bad yet.  Leave them be and see what the plant does from this point forward.  Letting them provide a little shade to the leaves around them can be beneficial to the plant during the hardening off process.  If they get worse, after a few more days, then consider removing them.

Back