• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Supporting peppers with strings

How do  you support peppers in a greenhouse with strings?
I have a couple big sweet peppers that need support but I don't know how to do it with strings.

Hemp, sisal or jute bailer twine.

m7YXiDc0GJMbaoci18HT6Cw.jpg

FarmerJones said:
If you prune them up to the V in the stalk, the stem/stalk will thicken up. I wait until the plant is fairly acclimated and growing well before I do this, depending on pests, color, weather. I snip off blooms until the plant gets close to maturity height, allowing the support structure to thicken before fruiting. I get a decent grow season in TN. Mid April-Mid Oct. I never stake peppers.

This guy has some novel ideas akin to trellising etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPiho8HUK0Check out 

Check out the link.

I'm trying trellis clips this year with tomatoes and thought I'd try it on the sweet pepper fruiting stalks too possibly.

T-posts at the row ends will hold tension-ed brace wire overhead to carry the weight.

Using string is much more common for tomatoes, it works extremely well, but you must make sure it is wrapped counter clockwise (not positive) so that the plant does not unwind itself.

Last summer I used one of the 7 inner strands of paracord to string up my tomatoes, and it worked well. Need to make sure you have a somewhat soft-ish rope/string so that it does not cut into the plants. I had it tied at the top and the bottom, but depending on how many curls it goes around, this will tighten up the string and possibly cut into the plant.

You can trellis only the main stalk, depending on how bushy it is. If the greenhouse is too tall you can also make something out of pvc pipe to hold up the strings.

Back