• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

T5 question

how far away from the lights should my plants be? I was told in another thread 8-10 inches (thanks Patrick), and i was just wondering what's everyone's opinion. My shelves only allow for about 4-6 inches depending on the plant's height. So maybe i need to hang the lights some other way to get them farther away from my plants? I know they put out a little heat too. thanks again, keep on growin'...

thanks for the reply jamison, i appreciate all your help. i've gone to just watering my plants, no ferts for now. and we'll see how things turn out by next weekend or so.

From what I understand you want to get your light whatever it may be a t5 or a high intensity discharge as close as you could get it to your plants without burning them. I'm sure your fine with 4-6in. Last year I had plants growing about 4-6in below my 4bulb hydrofarm t5 and at some points they grew right into the ballast against the t5's without any problems. I don't think they put off enough heat to do any real damage just monitor them and they will tell you if their to close, if they look good and are not wilting or acquiring any burn marks they will be fine which I'm sure they will.

yeah, all my new seedlings are usually about 6-8 inches away, and once they get 3-4 sets of leaves and get about 4-6 inches tall then i get them within 3 inches or so from the light. i haven't noticed any suntan, except for 1 or 2 out of 30+ plants so far.

I would go with 8-10" T5 is pretty intense for new seedlings. If kept too close it will give them a sun tan..

WRONG!!! I've been using T5's for a long time man. New seedlings might get a little purple from the light but there is nothing wrong with that at all. Yes you can get plants to grow with them 8-10'' above and will grow tall for sure but thats just because they are stretching to get to the light. IF you want leggy plants thats the way to go. To me it just doesn't make sense to have a T5 and not put it as close as you can. I think thats why they are so popular for vegging plants, just for that reason. Keep em close OG.

Wow this is some helpful info. I just bought a T5 HO 4x2 from hydrofarm(used) and I'm just starting to play with it. And I'm pretty much going for what I fell it's ok, I gotta say it's pretty dang bright. When I put my hand under it, it just feels warm and I'm at around 2' for my 1 month old seedlings and about 1' from my tallest plant. I will lower the light tho, I just need the time to keep an aye out and keep em well monitored.

*This should be in the "grow tech" no? Just saying :D*

,Vegas

Who needs light? I grow my plants in the dark...

Every light is different, I'd start at a certain height and then move them down a couple inches a day until you either see negative effects or you get to the top of the plants....which ever comes first.

From my experience using a T5 HO this year. There is a such a thing as too close. As when I had my light as low as possible. It seemed to dry out the seedlings before the soil. My setup is a 4' 8 bulb Hydrofarm (only running 4 bulbs at the moment) In a 2'x4' grow tent. Light is now 15" high off of seedlings. An seeing no issue. They actually started growing better. Pics below show older plants and new seedlings in same setup. An seedlings aren't getting leggy.

IMG_20130224_132914.jpg

IMG_20130224_132936.jpg

As you can see in the first pic of the older plants. Believe the deformed growth came from having the lights way to close. Just my .02 and experience.

WRONG!!! I've been using T5's for a long time man. New seedlings might get a little purple from the light but there is nothing wrong with that at all. Yes you can get plants to grow with them 8-10'' above and will grow tall for sure but thats just because they are stretching to get to the light. IF you want leggy plants thats the way to go. To me it just doesn't make sense to have a T5 and not put it as close as you can. I think thats why they are so popular for vegging plants, just for that reason. Keep em close OG.

To each their own...

Temps usually 75-80. Ran a fan more when light was lower. Now run it about and hour a day. Keep a door on it open the whole time lights are on. Only close it up over night.

I don't know much about these indoor grow setups with lights, but I trust Patrick and definitely would consider his suggestion.

Not that I'm skeptical about anyone else's suggestions, trial and error really is someone's best friend, as I'm sure different people in different grow zones have varying viable solutions as well. If you have a few rows of same size seedlings, try it on one level, that way if it works you can duplicate to other levels, and if it messes up seedlings, well, better with the least amount of casualties, right?

Patrick's 8-10 inches is a dang good starter point with T5's. Like I stated in another post. If they start to get leggy lower and, if they sunburn in the first day raze. As I've read on other forums. Usually a 4' 4 bulb is a little more power than a 150 watt HPS. An they say to keep that light 12-16 inches above seedlings. Trial and error is the key! Everybody says closer is better. But not on seedlings! I have learned myself this year. Higher is better.

10 inches away. All of them are either looking like this or getting ready to. If you want to call them leggy that's fine.

DSC028412300x1725_zps0760d1a1.jpg

I'm not saying 10 inches is perfect for everyone. I'm new to T5's. I started them just a couple of inches away and they got a wicked tan and some leaves were showing burnt edges. I had one person tell me right on top of them, I had another friend tell me two to three feet. I found what I think is a good height. If anyone ever asks for my advice I'm going to say start at 10-12 inches and adjust as necessary.

Back