• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water the selfwatering container difference

I planted a couple seasoning pepper plants in homemade self watering containers a while back. The growth difference has been significant. Look at this pic of the two plants in the containers and a sibling in a regular pot, all grown in promix.
dsc0028pb1.jpg

That's incredible! Though that 5 gallon bucket allows for larger roots. Are there some instructions on how to build one of those? or is it just plastic sheeting over the top of the bucket?

the actual available size is probably similar since the bottom 4 inches is used for the water reservoir
there's loads of info available if you google "self watering container" or "diy earthbox"
they all just started flowering

I'll post pics of the next one I build

The nice thing about self-watering containers is that the wick drains off any excess water in the bottom that can cause a myriad of problems.

POTAWIE said:
Pro-mix in trinidad:), that surprises me.

You know what's frustrating? There is a Pro-Mix wholesale distributor about 3 miles from my house, but they won't sell to me. The nearest retail outlet is over a hundred miles away!

Since my fav organic nursery in Columbia closed, there really isn't anywhere good to shop for specialty garden supplies. If there's a hydro shop, it's well hidden, and the folks in garden centers look at me blankly when I ask about things like worm compost kelp fertilizers.

Back