• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

They say timing is everything

I've canned two separate batches of salsa.  Both batches used Jalapeno & Cayenne Peppers.  They both turned out pretty hot when fresh, but lost a lot of the "zing" after canning.  I've got a bumper crop of Roma tomatoes remaining and no other peppers to use.  I have a couple different habenero varieties ripe but do not care for the flavor of Habanero.  It just has a taste I don't like.  My wife likes to make a Habanero jam with them.  I'm worried my Reapers, Scorpion and other HOT peppers will be late in producing and miss the window of my Roma tomatoes. I want a VERY, VERY hot canned salsa.  I love the simple flavor of jalapeno's, but I just can’t get near the heat desired. 

Any ideas?  Many of the hot exotics I planted I've never tasted.  What HOT variety makes the best over the top salsa? I'd be willing to buy ripe peppers now to be able to use them with my available tomatoes.

To be honest, a really hot jalapeno is still be favorite in salsa. There is always the option of keeping your salsa as in and using powder of another type to make it hot. The question is, how hot do you want it? I'll be picking a 100+ supers tomorrow easily along with things like Bahamian goats.

hogleg said:
 If penos aren't getting you there, try serranos. Imo they taste better and they're hotter. Also manzanos can can give a solid kick too.
Ironically, my early jals beat my serranos to pieces when it comes to heat. Thai peppers are also awesome in salsa and depending on which are used can be nice and hot.

Yea heat is so subjective plant to plant, pepper to pepper. I just got a box from Seacowboy with a few ripe serranos that were super sweet and had very little heat. The ones I've been growing the last couple years are real HOT, for serranos even.

hogleg said:
Yea heat is so subjective plant to plant, pepper to pepper. I just got a box from Seacowboy with a few ripe serranos that were super sweet and had very little heat. The ones I've been growing the last couple years are real HOT, for serranos even.
So true, I wont be keeping seeds from this serrano however the early jal has been pure fire for 5+ years. 

Agreed as I had a ripe jalapeno the other day from my garden that was really hot. It was from the macho variety. I really like the Thai peppers I've grown this year for heat with good flavor and also my super peppers have a nice flavor. 

hogleg said:
If penos aren't getting you there, try serranos. Imo they taste better and they're hotter. Also manzanos can can give a solid kick too.
+1
Then add powder when you eat it.

Back