This is how we do it down in Bluegrass

Hi everybody. Total newbie to this and jumped in with both feet. A little nervous and looking for moral support.
I sewed 18 varieties (13 hot, 5 sweet) in a Burpee 72 cell seed starter kit on March 3. Took the lid off on March 10 because sprouts had occurred and I wasn't sure about threat of dampening off. Have a heat mat under them and a grow lite 2-3 inches above the sprouts. Currently have 49 out of 72 cells germinated. Not really a pattern but it seems like the sweet bells (California Wonder, Chinese Giant and Carnival Hybrid) are having a harder time. Kung Paos and Big Thais were first. Also have a fan on low since March 10.

Bought several books and learning what I can from reading and youtube. Expect to harden off mid May and transplant into pots and raised beds late May.

Will transition this conversation to the proper forum but questions include:

1. Did I do the right thing by removing the lid after some sprouting?
2. Should i expect to transplant out of the seed kit before putting into ground? Not sure how long they can stay in there.
3. When/if to fertilize? With what?
4. Best material for pots and beds to transplant them in to?
5. Anything unique about the bell varieties that would make them take longer to germinate?
6. Totally confused about pollenating...
7. Any other advice for a newb...

John

First off, :welcome:

And maybe I can address just a couple of your questions. I'll leave some of the others to more experienced growers

1. Yes. Once they sprout, the dome/lid is no longer needed. They need light more than anything. I successfully killed more than half of my seedlings last year by leaving the lid on for a couple of hours in the sun.

2. I wouldn't. Maybe I do it the wrong way, but I'd almost let them get root-bound in the cell packs, then make one transplant to their final resting pace. That's just me though... I'd want them to have mature roots

3, 4, and 5..... I'll leave those to more experienced people. I use Miracle grow potting mix and Miracle Grow Tomato Food. Works for me, but I know MG isn't the best choice.

6. If you're growing outdoors, don't worry about pollinating. Your help isn't needed for that. The breeze and bugs will handle that for you.

7. And most importantly..... PATIENCE! That seems to be the single most difficult one to overcome. Just let them do their thing. Hard to not intervene!

Good luck!

¡Hola! and welcome from south FL
880smile-1.png

:welcome: from sunny South Florida! :woohoo:

:welcome: from central Pennsylvania.

Best advice I can give is start checking out some glogs. You will be able to see a ton of awesome growers and how they do it.

Back